Day 5 - Wake up and recover your life

Scripture focus: So, my dear Christian friends, companions in following this call to the heights, take a good hard look at Jesus. He's the centerpiece of everything we believe, faithful in everything God gave him to do. Moses was also faithful, but Jesus gets far more honor. A builder is more valuable than a building any day. Every house has a builder, but the Builder behind them all is God. Moses did a good job in God's house, but it was all servant work, getting things ready for what was to come. Christ as Son is in charge of the house. Now, if we can only keep a firm grip on this bold confidence, we're the house! Hebrews 3:1-6 (The Message)

God not only gave us the capacity to grow and learn - he warns us that it will require character and commitment to stay on task. Jesus is indeed the centerpiece of everything we believe – but let's not forget – Jesus' attention is on us, he wants to build something within us. Encouraged by McManus's perspective, I'm reading Genesis with wide awake eyes (and following along as McManus shows me the way). I learn that not only are we created to grow and learn, but we're designed to be creative and solve problems.

Lots of people know how to elucidate problems. In fact, so many people spend so much time pointing out problems that I sometimes get confused and think it's our job to watch out for and make note of all the problems we come across each day. This has been a challenge for me. I find it draining and disheartening. I realize now that I wasn't created to run in search of all life's problems like it's some sort of mission statement! Problems in need of solution inevitably reveal themselves. Naming 'em isn't the point – solving them is where the real challenge and opportunity lay.

As I read through Genesis 4, I discover Jubal. He invented the harp and flute. Jabal invented the tent. Tubal-Cain figured out how to make tools out of bronze and iron – all that creativity in one little paragraph! Who knows how many peopled whined about getting wet when it rained – but only one thought to make a tent. Who knows how many failed to notice the absence of beautiful music – only one figured out how to make music with a harp and flute. And while some were throwing stones and practicing their slingshot technique (it worked for David), only one looked at the ground and saw all that bronze and iron and put it to good use. Notice also that future generations received the benefit of the creative force exerted by these three men.

Our youngest is headed off to college in the fall. His focus will be music related. I've been asked about whether or not I think it would be better for Michael to pick a more practical major. I say – "No way!" I want both my boys and my daughter to know that they can change the course of human history. But it will require a sense of wonder and curiosity. It will require them to dream big. They'll have to eliminate the temptation to pick the low hanging fruit of problem identification and be willing to surrender themselves into the hands of the builder. I want that same sense of adventure and pioneering spirit to ignite within all of us. The Son is in charge of the house. Let the building proceed!

Recommended reading: Numbers 13 - 15


- click on the word
comments and join our conversation

Copyright 2009
NorthStar Community

No comments:

Blog Archive

Chat Rooms