Click on the word comments below and join our conversation!© Copyright 2010 NorthStar Community

Day 2

Scripture Focus: When the storms of life come, the wicked are whirled away, but the godly have a lasting foundation. Proverbs 10:25 NLT

Healthy feelings management requires a commitment to living in the middle of the road- without under or over reaction. Suppose someone hurts my feelins. Here are some ways I could choose to respond:

  • I could say to myself, "This shouldn't hurt my feelings. I'm a big girl. I should be more mature than this!"
  • I could shout, "I am really, really angry about this!" and then seek vengeance. I could be agressive/passive-agressive/or simply passive. But in my hurt place, if I choose not to acknowledge that I am hurt, I might end up confused and might feel angry and vengeful.
  • I could mope and play the victim. I could sleep too much or say I'm sick. I could tell everyone about how I got my feelings hurt.
  • I could make the decision to never, ever put myself in a position of being vulnerable to hurt feelings again!

Or, I could:

  • Acknowledge my hurt feelings.
  • Spend a reasonable amount of time examining my feelings. (Remember, a good rule of thumb is this: feelings are guests who visit in order to teach us somethings about ourselves. They should show up, sit down with us for a good meal, and then leave after a polite an appropriate amount of time to visit.)
  • Ask questions. What is going on with me? What have I learned about my relationship? Is this a legitimate wounding or might it be a triggering event intended to get my attention?
  • Ask for help if I get stuck in my hurt place.
  • After I have discovered the lessons I needed to learn, it may be healthy to have a discussion with others about the situation (people in my "hut" who need to know me really well, maybe even the person who triggered my hurt feelings.) The discussions are for my growth, not to wreak havok and mayhem.

No comments:

Chat Rooms