Having Heart In A Sometimes Heartless World


Day 114 - A fateful phone call

Scripture focus: Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me - watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly. Matthew 11:28-30 The Message

I hung up the phone and sat in silence. Through sobs and tears, a woman has spent hours telling me about all the reasons she believes God is punishing her. A husband's betrayal is paired with a child's untimely death; the conclusion reached is that the hand of God is smiting this family for serious bad behaving. A chronic illness is attributed to a lack of faith; grief and sadness are the only evidences this woman can present to me as a sign of her faithlessness. Financial misfortune is the result of failure to give more generously to their church - so she has been told, and thus she believes.

Our souls crave to know the truth, and we need to pursue it at all cost. Whatever the implication, wherever it takes us, we must search for meaning, strive for understanding, struggle to make sense of life, never give up on the belief that the truth is out there. Soul Cravings, Erwin McManus, entry 2, Meaning.

So what is the truth? Are there consequences for sin? Yes. Does a husband's adultery equal the death of a child? Some would say "yes" and reference the sad tale of David and Bathsheba. Others might pause to prepare, and consider that one bible story probably isn't enough to build a theological framework around. Perhaps other scripture verses might be helpful for fleshing out one's perspective.

And so, following my own train of thought, I turn to Matthew 11. I reread Jesus' call to those that are tired. I hear his invitation to converse with those who are burned out on religion. My heart quickens to his command - "Come to me." That's just what I'd say to my children, if they were tired, worn out, and burned out.

I'd say to my kids, "Come to me." And it would have absolutely nothing to do with punishment. Even a mediocre parent like me knows better than to correct, discipline, or discuss anything serious with a tired, worn out and burned out kid.

Betrayal, grief, and loss leave us tired, worn out and burned out. It's easy to get confused and spiritually turned around in the midst of suffering. And although many mere mortals will be tempted to correct, discipline, discuss and chide the hurting, that's not the way of Christ. He says, "Come to me." And that's one truth worth building a theological framework around.

Recommended reading:

Judges 1 in the morning; Luke 22 in the evening

No comments:

Blog Archive

Chat Rooms