Day 15 - Valuable


Scripture focus: So let's do it—full of belief, confident that we're presentable inside and out. Let's keep a firm grip on the promises that keep us going. He always keeps his word. Let's see how inventive we can be in encouraging love and helping out, not avoiding worshiping together as some do but spurring each other on, especially as we see the big Day approaching. Hebrews 10:22-25 The Message

So think about it: you are valuable, and the abundant life is real. If we feel ashamed, "less than," believe that the world is never quite good enough, or we never quite acquire enough to satisfy our longings – is the problem with the world, or with our perception? On days when I feel uneasily inadequate, frankly it doesn't much matter to me whether it's my perception filter or the world that is akimbo. I just want to feel better.

Paul's moves on in Hebrews to offer a pathway forward. He tells us to do. I can almost hear him urging us on, much like Bob Harper yelled and screamed at his reluctant trainee – "Just do it." Do what? Live the abundant life. What is the abundant life? Creatively encouraging others, helping out, loving, worshiping in community - spur each other on. And hurry up. Time is short. The big scale looms, and weigh in day is coming.

Dr. Jampolsky shares from his own experience some words of advice that helped him learn how to live the abundant life. (Healing the Addictive Personality, p. 83)
  • What you value is what you choose to value.
  • A key to healing is to give to others what you already have, instead of trying to get what you think you need.
  • True abundance and opportunity offer escape from the thought that you are not enough…
  • True abundance and opportunity see no value in fear…because there is nothing of value that can be lost.
  • True abundance values win/win situations. False abundance values win/lose situations.
  • The Addictive Personality sees obstacles and calculates loss in every situation. The Truth-Based Personality sees opportunities to learn, give, and receive in every situation.

Personally, I cannot work myself up into a state of big believing in my own value. But what I must do is continue to wrestle with the fact that as a desperately devoted follower of God, I am committed to believing what God says, and caring about what God cares about and doing what God says do. And although I don't know who or what Dr. Jampolsky believes in, I do know that God says: I have come that they might have life, and have it to the fullest…You are a royal priesthood, a child of God, the Kid of the King, a light to the world, an ambassador of Christ…When I feel weak and needy, I've got to go to the wrestling mat with God, and ask him to show me what's up with my body and soul when they aren't in alignment with my spirit. Lord, I believe. Help me in my unbelief…

Recommended reading: Mark 4-6
- click on the word comments and join our conversation

Copyright 2009
NorthStar Community

No comments:

Blog Archive

Chat Rooms