June 11

Scripture focus:
I can anticipate the response that is coming: "I know that all God's commands are spiritual, but I'm not. Isn't this also your experience?" Yes. I'm full of myself—after all, I've spent a long time in sin's prison. What I don't understand about myself is that I decide one way, but then I act another, doing things I absolutely despise. So if I can't be trusted to figure out what is best for myself and then do it, it becomes obvious that God's command is necessary.  But I need something more! For if I know the law but still can't keep it, and if the power of sin within me keeps sabotaging my best intentions, I obviously need help! I realize that I don't have what it takes. I can will it, but I can't do it. I decide to do good, but I don't really do it; I decide not to do bad, but then I do it anyway. My decisions, such as they are, don't result in actions. Something has gone wrong deep within me and gets the better of me every time.  It happens so regularly that it's predictable. The moment I decide to do good, sin is there to trip me up. I truly delight in God's commands, but it's pretty obvious that not all of me joins in that delight. Parts of me covertly rebel, and just when I least expect it, they take charge.  I've tried everything and nothing helps. I'm at the end of my rope. Is there no one who can do anything for me? Isn't that the real question?  The answer, thank God, is that Jesus Christ can and does. He acted to set things right in this life of contradictions where I want to serve God with all my heart and mind, but am pulled by the influence of sin to do something totally different. Romans 7:14-25 The Message

The brain is one heck of a complicated system. It is made up of cells (that live in colonies), neurotransmitters that help cells chat with each other, and a bunch of other really complicated stuff. Not only do cells talk – they give each other feedback! Who knew? This feedback affects the cells that sent the messages initially and changes the message that will continue on to future cells that weren’t in on the initial conversation. It kind of reminds me of how families talk.

Michael (our son) decided that it was a great idea to see how many Phish concerts he could attend in his lifetime. Michael is no dummy. So he took his “cell” and headed off to have a conversation with the daddy cell in our colony. This was an intentional conversation. He could have come to me, the mommy cell, but I have a history of liking to keep my kids close to home base. Michael’s dad loves concerts. But Michael’s dad also loves me. That’s the background, now here’s the conversation.

“Dad, what do you think about me seeing how many Phish concerts I can attend in my lifetime? Do you think that’s a worthy life mission?”

“Wow! That sounds like fun! We could rent an RV, go to Phish concerts at night and visit all the baseball stadiums during the day. We could make it a family vacation. Your sister could take a leave from her job. Your brother could quit seminary! We could bring the dogs. Your mom could cook our meals on a camp stove!”

Michael pauses to prepare. “Well, we could...” And he walks off to find me.

“Mom, Dad said he totally agrees with me that I should go to all the Phish concerts I can possibly attend in my lifetime. He says that it’s a worthy cause, and that I can rent an RV with Ryan and David and travel the country all summer. He says it sounds like fun!”

To be continued...


Click on the word comments below and join our conversation!© Copyright 2010 NorthStar Community

4 comments:

becoming said...

Ooooh--this is going to be good!

Anonymous said...

Too funny already!!! Sounds like conversations I've participated in before!

I Might be Wrong said...

I pray for the day these are the kinds of conversations I have with my kids. It is so very hard to do the next right thing when it feels like it shoving your kids away. What does it say for the way I lived when I am not codependent on my kids they have no use for me. I can not be surprised that things have turned out this way as I have had many Gods besides He that created me. I have taught my kids no adults to worship at the alters of many a false god. Today I pray that they can see the differences in my life and that it plants a seed of living another way. Today is not about what I say it is about what I do. Thanks to my community I know that what I do speaks more loudly than the words I say. I can see a day that they are in a recovery ministry trying to get over things including me, that will be a glorious day indeed. It is funny how God works. I will be spending the day loving and supporting children from other earthly mothers and fathers with struggles I can not imagine, as my heart aches for the ones He gave me to watch. The best news of all is my relief will come from above not a bottle or a drug. Thanks for the blog spot to open up and let it go, now on to a most beautiful day as He wow's me in the most unexpected ways. I realy want to be anonymous today, what would that say. God Bless Ya'll

Pin Ball Wiz said...

After 12 hours of intensive addiction workshop work while on the road in another state I am ready for the lighter side of life. The McBean clan provided that this evening. Dude, at your age (even today) I would love to hit all of the Who's and Clapton's concerts this summer if those guys are still playing and touring if they are not to old or to dead to play. May I suggest the closest Aweful House or Dennys rather than a Billy Banks trained kick boxing Mom with a heavy iron skillet frying pan within her reach if your going to do a family road trip which requires partying to the wee hours of the night.
After all she has a blog, a book, and a gazillion other things going on between concerts that she does. :)

Thanks again for the light moment. Going to sleep and doing a trauma egg for breakfast for morning presentation.

Blog Archive

Chat Rooms