June 12

Scripture focus
: I can anticipate the response that is coming: "I know that all God's commands are spiritual, but I'm not. Isn't this also your experience?" Yes. I'm full of myself—after all, I've spent a long time in sin's prison. What I don't understand about myself is that I decide one way, but then I act another, doing things I absolutely despise. So if I can't be trusted to figure out what is best for myself and then do it, it becomes obvious that God's command is necessary.  But I need something more! For if I know the law but still can't keep it, and if the power of sin within me keeps sabotaging my best intentions, I obviously need help! I realize that I don't have what it takes. I can will it, but I can't do it. I decide to do good, but I don't really do it; I decide not to do bad, but then I do it anyway. My decisions, such as they are, don't result in actions. Something has gone wrong deep within me and gets the better of me every time.  It happens so regularly that it's predictable. The moment I decide to do good, sin is there to trip me up. I truly delight in God's commands, but it's pretty obvious that not all of me joins in that delight. Parts of me covertly rebel, and just when I least expect it, they take charge.  I've tried everything and nothing helps. I'm at the end of my rope. Is there no one who can do anything for me? Isn't that the real question?  The answer, thank God, is that Jesus Christ can and does. He acted to set things right in this life of contradictions where I want to serve God with all my heart and mind, but am pulled by the influence of sin to do something totally different. Romans 7:14-25 The Message

Continued from yesterday...

As the “cells” in our colony converse, all sorts of interactions, experiences and behaviors emerge. Thoughts, feelings, sensation, memories are contained in a vast array of neuro-chemical communications. Electrochemical energies run along the bodies and fibers of nerve cells, cross synapses (the little spaces between the cells), releasing and inhibiting all sorts of chemicals. Each response creates a reaction. The possibility for communication are almost infinite. Addiction mucks up this system. It’s so complicated that we can’t do it justice, but we must try. Because how our brain processes matters.

It also matters how families communicate.

When Michael shares his vision for a summer in an RV with his guy friends following Phish to and fro, my brain lights up like the annual Christmas tree lighting at Rockefeller Center. What was his father thinking? Fortunately, we’ve been a family long enough that this isn’t the first time our cells have bumped up against each other in uncomfortable ways. We have some guidelines to direct us in moments like this….those times when I want to strangle the father of my children. First, I breathe. I breathe deeply, slowly, and repetitively. Second, I pause to prepare. I think, “Could there be more to the story than I know? Who should I ask for clarification?” These are pretty decent questions and have probably kept me out of the electric chair. An addicted family system when faced with a proverbial light show of excitement in the brain does not have the resources to pause, think, strategize, gather information, breathe or anything else deliberate. Addicted families react, usually to someone’s detriment. More on why this is more about chemistry than character tomorrow.

Click on the word comments below and join our conversation!© Copyright 2010 NorthStar Community

1 comment:

Uncover discover discard said...

Hi everyone, I saw many brain scans yesterday and can only imagine how hosed up mine was and to some degree still is. Today I listened to 6 other men shared the trauma of their life stories in a truama egg format. I felt honored, respectful and the glory of the Living God and HIS Grace today. Many of us should not be alive and yet here we are with some starting the healing process and others many years into the process from a lifetime of addiction as a result of family wounds and the impaired ways we found to cope to eek out survival. From my perspective survival is the barest of minimum of human life form. It is not living but life support. All said and done we found out not how different our experiences are but how similar we are. Many discovered the lightening of our burdens and shame reduction by taking the risk of sharing with others the darkest secrets of our actions as a result of early life trauma. Simply put we all got much of what we didnt need and not much of what we needed early in life. But, (where the truth lies)God had a mission for us prior to us being here and we had to walk through whatever to be prepared to carry that work out. Pride and my secret ways played a big part in keeping me from that work. (resistance to Gods will). Someone stated that "God does not waste our pain" and I, 6 years sober can attest to that statement. I feel somewhat lighter today and more connected to my Lord.

Wishing all that are living in the traumas of their past were here experiencing these three days.

Look forward to seeing you soon.

Chip

Blog Archive

Chat Rooms