June 5

Scripture focus:
So, my friends, this is something like what has taken place with you. When Christ died he took that entire rule-dominated way of life down with him and left it in the tomb, leaving you free to "marry" a resurrection life and bear "offspring" of faith for God. For as long as we lived that old way of life, doing whatever we felt we could get away with, sin was calling most of the shots as the old law code hemmed us in. And this made us all the more rebellious. In the end, all we had to show for it was miscarriages and stillbirths. But now that we're no longer shackled to that domineering mate of sin, and out from under all those oppressive regulations and fine print, we're free to live a new life in the freedom of God. Romans 7:4-6 The Message

When all else fails, we start hiding.

Denial, repression, rationalization – none of them stop. But inevitably neither can they hide the truth. This is when sin goes underground and starts hiding.

I have a principle that I try to live by to the best of my ability. I try to live with nothing hidden. This idea took formation in my brain when I got pregnant for the first time. My husband and I decided that we never wanted to put ourselves in a position of never being tempted to lie to our children. We wanted to live with nothing hidden.

This has been exceedingly liberating. Oftentimes a discussion is quickly cut off by asking the first question, “If I make this decision, am I ok when (not if) my children find out?” If I can say, “Yeah, I wouldn’t blush or hesitate to talk about this decision and subsequent action over with my kids” then I proceed to the next set of questions. But anytime I hesitate, prevaricate, hope my kids don’t notice – I’m in trouble. Bill Thrall and his team at TrueFaced have defined holiness as living with nothing hidden. I like that. Is there anything in your life – no matter how small – that you feel the need to hide from someone? Look, if you think the behavior is acceptable, then there should be no internal urge to keep it hidden. It is that simple.


Click on the word comments below and join our conversation!© Copyright 2010 NorthStar Community

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This set of devotions is seemingly really working on me - keeping nothing hidden. As someone who knows an addiction is present, having had sober time, and using again - very much in secret. This makes me really think about my situation and wonder where to go from here. I can probably continue to lie to those around me, but it's awful hard to live with myself like this - being afraid that someone will find me out. I find it very hard to make that leap over to committment to change and keeping nothing hidden. Not an easy task.

Anonymous said...

Hi Anonymous...if you haven't, take a look at yesterday's posts...much about this there. I have been an "expert" loner/hider in my past...in my own eyes. For me, I believe that part of my failures in recovery came because I had the hiding...once light is there (people won't disown or shun as I thought they might...they will support you if they're truly friends, and those are the people you want to be left with in your life anyway), relief is indescribable and recovery can be underway.

I truly think I was as addicted to the process of the undercover as I was to the substance. I have prayed for you and will continue to do so. May He show you His light and may you be warmed and blessed by it. May darkness leave you and may relief and happiness come to you in fullness. God bless.

Blog Archive

Chat Rooms