Having Heart In A Sometimes Heartless World


Day 68 - Foolishness

Scripture focus: Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images made to look like mortal man and birds and animals and reptiles. Romans 1:23

"Our need for identity is so powerful that we will choose a clearly defined destructive community rather than live without community at all." Soul Cravings, Intimacy, entry 18

We were created to find our way back to God. We were created to live in a community of others who are also on the same spiritual pilgrimage. And unless and until we accept this about ourselves, we will live in a state of dis-ease. That said, it doesn't mean that once we get with the program, life gets painless. In fact, it's possible to believe that we're on a spiritual path and fail to notice that our faith journey has derailed.

I prefer to keep my job title on the down low; it makes life simpler. When strangers discover that I am a "minister," we often end up in conversations that are unique. Standing in a long line in the middle of the Christmas shopping frenzy, I found myself sandwiched between two women who were obviously dear friends - one of whom I vaguely recognized. She blew my cover and introduced me to her friend - including that pesky job title.

"You know, I don't go to church anymore - although I am a deeply spiritual person. I prefer to spend my Sundays doing other spiritually nurturing activities."

I nod to acknowledge that the confession has been received.

She continued to stare at me as if a response was expected. I glanced down at my cart; I looked up at the long line that stood between me and certain escape. We were going to be here awhile, so I settled in. I assumed I had shown up to shop; God granted me the privilege of community and a very interesting story.

"Where did you used to go to church?" I ask.

"Well, years ago" and out spilled her story. This lasted a long time. We crept toward the cashier until the story teller paused to unload her cart on the conveyor belt. Eventually, with packages in hand, she was forced to exit the premises. But not before I came to understand that she had abandoned her faith community when her passionate pursuit of the destructive resulted in an exchanging of the glory of God for an image - a proverbial golden calf; an tangible idol in whom she could put her trust.

Our mutual acquaintance couldn't wait to continue the story. "You know," she leaned toward me, whispering conspiratorially - "I'm so glad I was able to introduce you two. She is such a good girl, but she is miserable. She's in a destructive relationship with a guy who treats her something awful. Her adult children are disgusted with her and don't come around much. She's shared with me her loneliness, depression, and despair. I guess you noticed how heavy she is - she's gained 50 pounds this year. I'm just glad she has her faith." Wow. I eventually make my purchases and leave. But I take home more than mere baubles. This story leaves me with lots to think about.

Recommended reading: Numbers 9 and 10; Mark 14 in the evening


Above all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it. Proverbs 4:23 TNIV


Click "Comments" Below to Join the Discussion

Scroll down to the Archive Section to View Previous Devotionals.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Chat Rooms