Having Heart In A Sometimes Heartless World


Day 76 - Perseverance

Scripture focus: "This is the meaning of the parable. the seed on good soil stands for those with a noble and good heart, who hear the word, retain it, and by persevering produce a crop." Luke 8:15 NIV

The first time I ever read the parable of the sower in Luke eight, I distinctly remember wondering - which one of these am I? Can I hear? Do I hear but refuse to heed? What is it in me that chokes out the seed that produces a fruitful crop? Honestly, I never dreamed of becoming noble, good, or fruitful. I wanted out of my pain! I wanted the people around me to behave! I wanted to get rid of my hurts, habits and hang-ups. I had no time for or confidence in big dreams.

When visitors show up at one of our NorthStar Communities, they comment on the people they meet. If they stick around, their appreciation grows. As the months pass, it becomes obvious that several of the men, women and youth running around setting up chairs, tables, the bookstore, refreshments, sound equipment, etc. actually run around like this every week - whether it's convenient for them or not. Some of the load is so heavy and cumbersome that the team works up a sweat - summer or winter. Singers sing and trainers train. Techie gurus do their techie guru thing - which none of us understand but all appreciate. Our "light refreshments" regularly morph into meals fit for a king. And even though our support groups are open to the casual attender or the fickle faithful - one thing is for sure - week after week month after month year after year a very small group of men and women have sacrificed so that people can remain marginally committed and still count on a place to come when the going gets tough. When a person shows, the faithful facilitators and regulars welcome them with open arms. Over time, regulars pick up on the fact that no one begs them for money or manipulates them to serve. It's no surprise then that the recipients of all this generosity appreciate the nobility and goodness of those who serve them.

But way back when before maturity had its way and big hearts were birthed, when the condition of the soil was uncertain, and the character of the individual was marginal - these same noble and good hearted people had issues. Some had broken hearts and others had hard hearts. Some looked like the locusts had consumed their entire crop AND their last dish had run away with their only spoon. In the relationship department, more were broken than healthy. Why? Because suffering stains - and whether it is self- or other-inflicted, it hurts the human heart.

When the lady showed up with her three kids - she looked messy. It would have been easy to stick on labels and pass judgment on her skills. Fortunately, the very same noble and good hearted people that fed her kids lasagna and gave her their phone number and took their kids into the gym for games, once looked messy too. They know the sting of labels and the condemnation of judgment.

Maturity happens. It's not quick or easy or neat. But it happens. Therefore, we do not lose heart. Having once been where that suffering mom is - our community can hold her and offer her hope. Today I'm a big dreamer because of the people in my community who continue to lead the way. For me, they are the parable of the sower. One day I fully expect that lady and every single one of her kids to join the team: if she wants to.

Recommended reading: Numbers 24 and 25 in the morning; Luke 2 and Psalm 59 in the evening

Click "Comments" Below to Join the Discussion

Scroll down to the Archive Section to View Previous Devotionals.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you have a wonderful community and ministry. I hope she does follow God's will and seek the healing He wants for her. I pray that it may be His will for it to be with you all and if not that He would put the perfect place in her path.

Thank you for reminding me that Maturity takes time. It has its downs, but we must perservere. I pray for maturity and stregnth. That my addiction of negative thinking and emotional ups and downs ( this all started several years ago after a wierd illness and very early menopause, but could there be something spiritual on my part that aided this? I think I had too much pride in my own stregnth and now God wants to show me His) will give way to more maturity and His strength. That the cares of this world or my own lack of health as I knew it in the past would not bring me down, but that I would mature in such a manner that others would see Messiah in me. Thank you for your ministry.

Blog Archive

Chat Rooms