Day 10 - Yukky amends

Scripture focus: "That brought him to his senses. He said, 'All those farmhands working for my father sit down to three meals a day, and here I am starving to death. I'm going back to my father. I'll say to him, Father, I've sinned against God, I've sinned before you; I don't deserve to be called your son. Take me on as a hired hand.' He got right up and went home to his father. Luke 15:17-20 (The Message)

Lesson 3

The son doesn't ask to be restored to son-ship. Nor does he ask to be a servant or slave. What he's really requesting is an apprenticeship of sorts - a way to learn a trade, so that he can eventually earn an income.

Most commentators believe that this boy is trying to make restitution. He's doing an eighth step (for more information on the steps, see www.northstarcommunity.com and look for the Christ-centered 12 step information). His plan is an attempt to make amends.

The son tries to clean up his misdeeds much like one would balance an accounting ledger. If he can repay his debt, maybe everyone can forget that it was ever owed.

The amends process is both biblical and beneficial.

But we must guard against using it as a tool of manipulation, as a sort of bargaining chip to get ourselves back into the good graces of others without having to actually live in right relationship with them.

Have you ever used the amends making process as a way to salve your own bruised ego, rather than a necessary next step in righting a wrong?

Recommended reading: Luke 7 - 9


- click on the word
comments and join our conversation

Copyright 2009 NorthStar Community

No comments:

Blog Archive

Chat Rooms