Day 8 - A Father's lavish love and a son's callous insolence

Scripture focus: Then he said, "There was once a man who had two sons. The younger said to his father, 'Father, I want right now what's coming to me.'" Luke 15:11-32 (The Message)

The prodigal son is a well-known biblical story. You've probably heard a kazillion messages on the subject. We're going to study this little story for the next few days, but I want to ask you to do something for me - will you read it as an exercise in scriptural wrestling?


As we talk about this story, ask yourself: How does this story make me feel? Who do I relate to in the passage? What does knowing this cause me to rethink or rearrange in my own life? What might I need to confess? These questions help us stay focused on the person most in need of a divine encounter with God - ourselves. The only person God holds us responsible for is ourselves. So I pray that this mini-study on a very familiar passage will have a very profound impact on each of our hearts.


Assume that this is a radical message. This really isn't about one son, but two. Both struggle with spiritual anorexia. (For more information on this topic, you'll want to read Soul Repair, by Jeff VanVonderen and Dale and Juanita Ryan.)


Lesson 1


The audacity of this son's request must not be missed. Basically, what this young man did was say to his dad, "Dad, I wish you were dead. But since you're not, and I really wish you were, I am going to act as if you are dead. I want my loot."


In biblical times, when you had two sons, the oldest child got a double portion. But this only happened after the father died.


The youngest son is asking for the father's stuff, without the father. He views the relationship as a means to an end. Although he wants the goodies that relationship as a son provides, he doesn't want to actually have to commit to a father/son relationship!


A traditional Middle Eastern father would respond by driving this impudent son out of the house with verbal and probably physical blows. But this dad doesn't do that - more on how the father responds tomorrow.


For today, spend some time asking God to show you where you have preferred the benefits of relationship - with God, with a spouse, with a parent, with a child - without wanting to bother with the relationship.


Recommended reading: Luke 1-3


- click on the word
comments and join our conversation

Copyright 2009 NorthStar Community

No comments:

Blog Archive

Chat Rooms