Day 21 - We have Christ's Spirit


Scripture focus:
The unspiritual self, just as it is by nature, can't receive the gifts of God's Spirit. There's no capacity for them. They seem like so much silliness. Spirit can be known only by spirit—God's Spirit and our spirits in open communion. Spiritually alive, we have access to everything God's Spirit is doing, and can't be judged by unspiritual critics. Isaiah's question, "Is there anyone around who knows God's Spirit, anyone who knows what he is doing?" has been answered: Christ knows, and we have Christ's Spirit. 1 Corinthians 2:14-16 (The Message)


"I've felt like such a pathetic coward all these years being afraid of such dumb things especially since I am a well-built ex rugby player who looks (but doesn't feel) the macho type and for years I tried the 'exposure therapy,' grit and determination approach which just led to more shame - I know now that the cycle of shame is like a man fighting himself and the stronger you are the longer and more bruising the fight and the more exhausting it is. The 12 step group was a very powerful experience and the stories were so precious - I had a palpable sense of how precious they were to God. I have to admit that I did feel anxious and uncomfortable yet I realized that I wanted reality in all of its painful glory and somehow I felt had to go back after people had been so honest in exposing their pain and needs. I was able to confess to them a little thumbnail sketch of my story, how my problems had cost me a marriage, a hard earned academic career in research and lecturing and a lot of lost years, friends, opportunities and experiences. I think that the sense of loss still has some kicking in to do yet and I just trust and pray to God that my best years are yet to come."


Christ's Spirit dwells in the midst of our messy stories.


To be continued....


Recommended reading: Acts 16-18


- click on the word comments and join our conversation

Copyright 2009 NorthStar Community

No comments:

Blog Archive

Chat Rooms