April 11

Scripture focus: A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for adversity. Proverbs 17:17 NIV

One of my highest priorities in ministry is to not lay guilt trips on people. I hate it when I feel manipulated or shamed into doing something, especially when the hook is God. Once when I was really young in my faith someone tried to talk me into doing a church job for which I was terribly unsuited. I got hooked by the old tried and true, “The Lord told me that you should do this.” In my naivette, I believed them. It was a terrible experience.

Years later, someone else pulled this stunt and I had a more mature response. I replied, “Well, when He tells me the same thing, I’ll let you know!” I realize that this is my own personal baggage. I share the story so that you know I am not the most objective person when it comes to this subject. My past experience and my present role (the one that I have an official job description for) in life are often in conflict. Although I never want to manipulate or shame people, I am in a position where I am called upon to inform our community of opportunities and even obligations (I also realize that if I have baggage, so do others. So you can imagine why I often speak with fear and trembling – wondering if even my clearest and most God-directed words might be misinterpreted because of pesky “ issues”). I have trouble in this area knowing where the line is. Anyway, enough about me!

With that background in mind, today I want to speak a truth that I feel obligated to share but afraid will be received as presumptuous advice giving. So here it is: I believe that everyone ought to find a community of faith and become deeply invested in making it a place where friends turn into family. I believe that when God’s word tells us to not get out of the habit of meeting together (Hebrews 10:25), it’s a serious and profound word of instruction. I don’t want you to think that I’m saying this in the hope that we’ll increase our weekly attendance numbers in our own faith community – this isn’t about filling up pews or folding chairs.

This is personal. This is about what each of us needs for a rich and abundant life. We desperately need community – particularly, a community of faith. My suggestion is not offered so that you can get your needs met, although certainly having a healthy family of faith will enrich anyone’s life. I ask you to consider this commitment because I fully believe that other people’s quality of life may be determined by whether or not you step up to the plate and shoulder the mantle of responsibility for making this world – and your tiny sphere of influence – a haven for others.

In the book of Mark, Jesus is constantly reminding us that the kingdom of God is near. He shows us through his parables how this kingdom is often built by labors of love from human hands. We can make good friends by joining a tennis team or a book club – and that’s awesome. The kingdom of God can show up at fitness centers and political rallies. God isn’t limited to working only in buildings with steeples. But there is something special about a group of people who commit to building a community around their belief that God thinks it’s a good idea to do so. Marion believed this with all her heart. More on why her life could inspire us to make the same decision in the days ahead…

Click on the word comments below and join our conversation!

© Copyright 2010 NorthStar Community


1 comment:

Gitterdone said...

T,

We are going to "make up in our minds" what your words mean to us based on our personal filters.

I have left our services over the past years sometimes scratching my head wondering if it was me or you, walking on air feeling so spiritually connected that I might not be of any earthly good for awhile, angry, with more questions than I came with, warm and fuzzy, connected and at peace, shoulded on, loved, shamed and whole and complete. These are my feelings experienced through my filters and belief system and dare I say these might be normal reactions to a tv evangelist messages?

Where the rubber meets the road is what I do with those feelings after catching them. Community is a great place to process or learn to process those feelings that we can sometimes catch like a cold.
The medicine of a good mens meeting at nsc, a group of guys sitting on the front steps of the commons in passionite dialog triggered by a feeling as a result of the evenings message is a beautiful thing. The ability of a person in recovery to feel is a gift and being able to actually process those pesky feelings is a miricle.

You go girl! Just keep using your God given gifts to stir it up and those of us on the receiving end will use ours to sort it out within ourselves in community.

Blog Archive

Chat Rooms