April 2

This month’s devotionals were written in grateful collaboration with my mother-in-law, who passed away a little over a week ago.

Scripture focus: A happy heart makes the face cheerful, but heartache crushes the spirit. Proverbs 15:13 NIV

During Marion’s lifetime she had a series of unfortunate circumstances that could have crushed her spirit. She became a widow in her forties. She had a bit of a clumsy streak that led to a series of falls and a bunch of bodily assaults including: broken arm, broken wrist, broken elbow, two shoulder replacements, three fractured pelvises, a hip fracture…to name a few.
She did not enjoy her injuries or heartaches. But she handled each loss, setback, cast, rehab, and hospital visit with great cheerfulness. She never gave herself permission to let her own suffering become an excuse to hurt others.

As a young widow, she often remarked to me that it was difficult for others to know how to help her in the midst of her unexpected and great loss. People said thoughtless things. Her married friends complained about their husbands – repeating petty grievances and acting aggrieved about problems that Marion longed to experience. Instead of becoming bitter, she determined to do better. As the years progressed, and other women in her circle became widowed, she reached out to them. Some of her best friends became women who entered the surprising state of widowhood and found Marion a willing and prepared sister in suffering.

Once, while on a lovely trip to New York City with her beloved Golden Notes, she fell and hurt her shoulder. No one really knew the extent of her injuries. She didn’t want to complicate the plans, so she waited to ride back on the bus with her singing group. When she returned home, it took days for us to arrange an appointment with a doctor. He sent her for an x-ray to her least favorite hospital. When we arrived for the test, we were sent down a series of long and winding hallways. I suggested that perhaps a wheelchair might be a good idea. She replied, “I am fine. I can make it.” She did – barely. Later we found out that her arm was barely attached to her body.
Days later, she told me, “If this ever happens again, I’m taking that wheelchair.” Then she chuckled.

Marion had a cheerful heart and never wanted to inconvenience others. I suppose we could quibble about whether or not the failure to take a wheel chair was a good idea or not, but no one will ever accuse her of living a self-centered life. One of the reasons Marion was able to live with a smile on her lips was because she had so much love for others in her heart. She learned that from her mother.


Click on the word comments below and join our conversation!

© Copyright 2010 NorthStar Community


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful tribute. My mom will be 89 this year and it makes me realize how much I complain about her and her ways. I get stuck on the negative. There is much to honor and hearing how you have honored your second mother makes me realize I need to look to those things I can honor in my mom. She trained me well with all the negative, but that's no reason to repeat the same issue or I can bet my kids will do the same! Time to see my mom as God sees her!

Hzjewl said...

I pray that when I pass, my community can say "She never gave herself permission to let her own suffering become an excuse to hurt others."

Anonymous said...

a couple of months ago a friend suggested that, as i enjoy singing, i might want to look into the Golden Notes. i loved my time in choir in high school and college. the first time i tried to make it to a Golden Notes rehearsal (Wednesday 10:00 A.M.] i got there at 10:30, so i chose to sit on the steps outside, and just listen. the next Wednesday i was on time, and was given a very loving welcome by all. the next Wednesday I had a doctor's appointment and couldn't make it. the next Wednesday, not only was i on time and welcomed, but i had been given my own spot where all music folders are kept. having learned i was no longer a tenor, Paul Honaker put me next to a baritone with a wonderfully rich voice, to help me learn my part. when a pending performance was mentioned, i realized that performing with a choir was probably no longer an option. {i can't stand on 'risers' for the time required during a performance]. no problem, i was encouraged to come to rehearsal anyway. the Golden Notes are such a loving group. when the Memorial service for Pete's mom took place, having had a brief look into one of her favorite activities in church, and i saw the part the Golden Notes played in the over all scheme of Bon Air Baptist and it's mission as 'family'-some of my 'fight' with the 'church' was laid to rest. as i was leaving Bon Air that day, one of the Golden Noters shared that New York story with me. Paul Honaker [the incredibly talented Director] was so concerned about the accident [Marion fell while crossing the street and trying to avoid New York traffic] that he insisted on everyone getting on the bus to go from the hotel back to where they were performing.
all that to say that, having never met Marion, nevertheless the life she led has had an impact on mine; first through who Pete and Teresa are because of her presence in their lives-but also because of her extended family at Bon Air Baptist. i still have questions,but i want to ask them differently-and Marion had a hand in that. a.'nanny'mouse.

Blog Archive

Chat Rooms