April 26

Scripture focus:
I thought in my heart, "Come now, I will test you with pleasure to find out what is good." But that also proved to be meaningless. "Laughter," I said, "is foolish. And what does pleasure accomplish?" I tried cheering myself with wine, and embracing folly—my mind still guiding me with wisdom. I wanted to see what was worthwhile for men to do under heaven during the few days of their lives. I undertook great projects: I built houses for myself and planted vineyards. I made gardens and parks and planted all kinds of fruit trees in them. I made reservoirs to water groves of flourishing trees. I bought male and female slaves and had other slaves who were born in my house. I also owned more herds and flocks than anyone in Jerusalem before me. I amassed silver and gold for myself, and the treasure of kings and provinces. I acquired men and women singers, and a harem as well—the delights of the heart of man. I became greater by far than anyone in Jerusalem before me. In all this my wisdom stayed with me. I denied myself nothing my eyes desired; I refused my heart no pleasure. My heart took delight in all my work, and this was the reward for all my labor. Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind; nothing was gained under the sun. Ecclesiastes 2:1-11 NIV

In Donald Miller’s book, A Million Miles In A Thousand Years, he introduces his work with a little ditty that packs a powerful punch. He tells of his search for the secret to making a good movie. He suggests that if we go to a movie about a guy who spends his whole live trying to acquire a Volvo, no one will cry when he gets his car and drives it off the lot. In fact, he suggests that if we went to a movie about a subject like this, we’d demand a refund for the price of the ticket. He concludes the story by saying that if no one would be interested in seeing a movie about this story, why in the world would we think that a life focused on buying a Volvo would be meaningful, significant and interesting?

From Ecclesiastes to A Million Miles In A Thousand Years, mankind has continued to search for a meaningful life while continuing to run down the same dead end alleys. It seems we are destined to need to learn from our own mistakes, rather than heeding the wisdom of our forefathers. Maybe that’s the only way; it might even be the best way. As we experience failure, we have the opportunity to learn. As we learn, we acquire experience (and hopefully empathy and compassion for others). As we gain experience, we have opportunities to develop, evolve, grow and mature. It’s not the falling down that leads to failure, it’s the failure to learn from our falling down.

In Marion’s lifetime she became one of the best faller-downers in the history of falling down. She fell down in the rain, on vacation, in her apartment, on the sidewalk, in New York City, down a flight of stairs, in a bowling alley, out of bed (Dr. Seuss would have a field day with her adventures.)….and these are just the places she told us about. It would seem that Marion never learned how not to fall. Her strength was not found in overcoming her predisposition to excellence in falling.

If she could’ve learned how not to fall, she would’ve. She sincerely desired to never fall. She was the most sincerely regretful faller I hope to ever meet.

Some things we will never conquer; in matters such as these, it will be important to learn how to manage within our limitations.


Click on the word comments below and join our conversation!

© Copyright 2010 NorthStar Community


No comments:

Blog Archive

Chat Rooms