March 12, 2007

Step 3: We made a decision to turn our life and will over to the care of God.

Scripture reading for today: Psalm 12 and 13

I’ve been pretty consistently beating the drum about re-learning, re-thinking, renewed believing. For me, this re-education process has been an essential part of my decision to “come to believe” and I suspect that this principle is true for others too. Let me speak frankly (and I pray gently) to you about something that really bothers me.

It disturbs me down to my core that we seem to be so reluctant to dive into the deep end of the pool when it comes to finding our way back to God. Let me explain. If you were going to be a physician, you’d expect to have to study and work diligently to gain the skill sets to be a decent doctor. The mechanics that regularly interpret my complaints about my car (“It’s making a whirring noise.”) have certificates hanging on their walls demonstrating their commitment to learning the language of ladies who show up at their shops in need of a car repair. If we want to play golf, tennis, football or lacrosse – most of us receive some kind of instruction and coaching.

First – we receive instruction. The doctors and mechanics go to class, the athletes go to camps, every student reads books on the subject they are seeking to understand.

Second – we practice what’s been preached. We take tests, apprentice, stand at the base line and hit balls, hang out at the driving range, practice our stick work in lacrosse and our tackles on the football field.

Third – people give us feedback. Sometimes we appreciate the input, often we chaff under the instruction. It’s only in hindsight that most of us come to appreciate those that have pushed us to achieve beyond what we currently believe we can accomplish.

Thought for today: All this is good stuff. But it’s just seen world learning. How are we doing in the area of heart transformation? Are we willing to go to any lengths to figure out what it means to turn our lives over to God’s care and control? I’m just asking. More on this topic tomorrow.

Thought for tomorrow:
Teach me to do your will, for you are my God; may your good Spirit lead me on level ground. Psalm 143:10-11 NIV

March 12
Teresa McBean

No comments:

Chat Rooms