March 27, 2007

Step 3: . We made a decision to turn our life and will over to the care of God.

Scripture reading for today: Psalm 23

The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not be in want. He makes me lie down in green pastures, He leads me beside quiet waters, He restores my soul. He guides me in paths of righteousness for his name’s sake. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, And I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever. Psalm 23 NIV

Daily devotions are so…private. No one needs to know the answer to this question. If decide that the Lord is your shepherd, do you know what to expect? When I was growing up, I rarely went to church. After I was married, my husband informed me that we were going to church. This came as news to me. Shhhh! We have a secret. Don’t spread this around, we’re not proud of this, but it is the truth: we never talked about God or any spiritual matter of any importance before we got married. I know, I know. Don’t email me and suggest all those good books available about healthy dating for Christians. We’ve been married almost thirty years. We confess! We did it wrong! Don’t do it the way we did – discuss this and other important issues before you get yourself hitched. But the truth remains, his sudden interest in all things God-related startled me. I didn’t know what to expect. I was afraid to ask. I did have some knowledge of the twenty-third Psalm…”The Lord is my shepherd…” but I lacked understanding. I don’t think I am alone. People were pretty confused about what it meant to accept Jesus as the son of God in Jesus’ day too. Some even thought he was demon-possessed. In response, Jesus explained what it means to be one for whom the Lord is their shepherd.

Jesus answered, “I did tell you, but you do not believe. The miracles I do in my Father’s name speak for me, but you do not believe because you are not my sheep. My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of my Father’s hand. I and the Father are one.” John 10:22-32 NIV

I’ve been finding my way back to God for many years. My experience has been that the good shepherd finds a way to speak to me, if I am willing to listen. He’s never disrespected me by forcing his will upon me. He never got behind me and pushed (like sheep most of us can’t be driven – remember day one – sheep can only be led, not driven). Instead, he has invited us to join him in his grand epic adventure.

Thought for today: I was once a very reluctant follower. I didn’t know what to expect, and my fears held me back from running hard toward the Father. I was afraid to even begin the journey because I fully expected to disappoint him. I’ve learned a sacred truth in my spiritual pilgrimage, and I count it a privilege to share it: entering into a love relationship with God is not a position secured by performance and good behavior. You’ve had a place in His heart since before the first star was hung in the sky.

Thought for tomorrow:
I am your Creator. You were in my care even before you were born. Isaiah 44:2 CEV

You saw me before I was born and scheduled each day of my life before I began to breathe. Every day was recorded in your Book! You know me Inside and out, you know every bone in my body; You know exactly how I was sculpted from nothing into something. Psalm 139:15-16 (order reversed and taken from both the Living Bible and The Message)

March 27
Teresa McBean

No comments:

Chat Rooms