March 18, 2007

Step 3: . We made a decision to turn our life and will over to the care of God.

Scripture reading for today: Psalm 19 and 20, Proverbs 11

In a recovery ministry, I get to watch families deal with events that any sane person would acknowledge as very shame inducing. It’s embarrassing to acknowledge that your child has been stealing from the family business to keep up with gambling debts. It’s extremely embarrassing to see dad’s face on the front page of the local newspaper because he got arrested in a prostitution drag net. It’s mortifying to have mom show up for a parent/teacher conference drunk as a skunk.

“God is very disappointed in you, and so am I.” This is the best words a father could come up with after he bailed his adult child out of jail. And hey, I’m not slamming dear old dad. All of us have the inclination to take God and lower him to our level. Disappointment is a natural, normal human emotion when one runs face-to-face with the shattering of all illusions.
But natural and normal isn’t God’s way.

Thought for today: Do not be afraid; you will not suffer shame. Do not fear disgrace; you will not be humiliated. Isaiah 54:4

Thought for tomorrow: Sometimes giving human attributes to heavenly God makes us afraid to cast our lives into his hands. Fear not. He will not shame us, humiliate us, or disgrace us. He will, however, heal us, restore us, renew us, and fulfill his promises to us.

March 18
Teresa McBean

*Click on the Help! Blog?! What?! link to learn more about blogging.
*Click on the We're Podcasting! link to learn how to get Teresa's messages for your IPod.

3 comments:

GodsBabyGrl said...

Hey Ya'll!

Under "Read More Blogs" there a link to help for newbies.

Also, check out the link "We're Podcasting!" to learn how to get Teresa's messages for your IPod.

GodsBabyGrl said...

The addiction movie last night really helped to make it clear to me that addiction is a disease. This is just beginning to sink in for me. I think this movie will help lots of families to be able to relate to their addicted people in less shaming ways and that this will result in a lot more recoverying families.

On the faith American Idols. As first glance it looks like these are gonna be all the "good people". Abel's sacriface was accepted by God when his brother Cain's wasn't and Enoch didn't even have to die. He just went to heaven. Then we come to Noah. Noah built the ark, but then he got drunk and passed out in his tent. Sarah birthed nation of Israel, but when God promised her this would happen...she laughed at him.

The list goes on, but I guess the thing that I'm seeing is that God uses people just like me whose behavior isn't perfect. What God seems to be pleased with is when I trust Him to make all things right when I surrender to His will.

Jaydelynn said...

I really was impressed by the impact of the addiction movie, it made it all more real. That's putting it nicely. It really shook me in a way and yet it help to see it in that way.I was left with new found compassion for myself and others. I really appreciate the devotionals teaching me a new way to see God

Chat Rooms