March 22, 2007

Step 3: . We made a decision to turn our life and will over to the care of God.

Scripture reading for today: Psalm 23

The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not be in want. He makes me lie down in green pastures, He leads me beside quiet waters, He restores my soul. He guides me in paths of righteousness for his name’s sake. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, And I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.

Psalm 23

Sheep don’t wake up every morning with the intentions of escaping their shepherd – or their flock. As we learned yesterday, sheep love to hang with each other, and they come when the shepherd calls! But what happens when they unintentionally wander too far afield? What happens when they get out of range of their shepherd’s voice? Even more distressing – what happens when they get paired with a sloppy shepherd?

In the absence of other data, I think we tend to assume that God is like the authority figures of our “seen world” experiences. Sometimes we’ve been shepherded sloppily – and this makes trusting God hard. If we’re going to make a decision involving trust, there is nothing wrong with asking the question: can I safely trust God with my life? Ask away. But remember, it is possible that human shepherds, sloppy in the sheperding skills, may have led you to some false beliefs about who God is, how He loves, what He desires, and where He wants to lead us.

Thought for today: My people have been lost sheep; their shepherds have led them astray and caused them to roam in the mountains. They wandered over mountain and hill and forgot their own resting place. Whoever found them devoured them. Jeremiah 50:6-7

Thought for tomorrow: “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you And not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” Jeremiah 29:11 NIV

It’s in Christ that we find out who we are and what we are living for. Long before we first heard of Christ and got our hopes up, he had his eye on us, had designs on us for glorious living; part of the overall purpose he is working out in everything and everyone. Ephesians 1:11 The Message

March 22
Teresa McBean

No comments:

Chat Rooms