May 12

Step 5: We admitted to God, to ourselves and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs.

May 12

Recommended Reading Psalm 29 and Mark 1

Admitting our wrongs is a three-fold process of confession. First, we admit our wrongs to God, then we admit our wrongs to ourselves and then we admit our wrongs to another human being. This process can be a powerful, life-changing experience. We all long to be known; to share the secrets that are so toxic to our souls; to experience the grace of being loved and accepted – sins and all. The spiritual discipline of confession provides the structure within which we can experience this grace in practical ways… Confession is an act of obedience to a (see James 5:16) biblical imperative. It is an imperative with a promise of healing.*

Thought for today: I have this exercise dvd that I love to do at home when my schedule is too packed for a class or it’s too yukky to get outside. My dvd-driven inspiration keeps telling me that if I want to “re-sculpt” my body I will need to require my body to do things it does not want to do. Did you hear that? If we want to “re-sculpt” our lives, we’re going to need to require things of ourselves that we don’t want to do. Like confession.

Thought for tomorrow: Blessed is he whose transgressions are forgiven, whose sins are covered. Blessed is the man whose sin the Lord does not count against him and in whose spirit is no deceit. When I kept silent, my bones wasted away through my groaning all ay long. For day and night our hand was heavy upon me; my strength was sapped as in the heat of summer. Then I acknowledged my sin to you and did not cover up my iniquity. I said, “I will confess my transgressions to the Lord” – and you forgave the guilt of my sin.

Psalm 32:1-5 NIV

I’d love to continue this discussion, but I’ve been sitting for several hours and now it’s time to go do some vigorous exercise…even though my body would prefer a nap.

May 12
Teresa McBean
* Recovery from Guilt, 6 studies for groups or individuals by Dale and Juanita Ryan, Copyright 1992, this and other excellent series are available from http://www.christianrecovery.com/, p.5.

No comments:

Chat Rooms