May 4

Step 5: We admitted to God, to ourselves and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs.

May 4

Recommended Reading Job 38

One Sunday I confessed a shortcoming in church. Embedded in my sermon, I told a story about how I was bad, so very, very bad, at remembering to attach a document when sending out emails. I told this to illustrate the point of love covering a multitude of sins – because my team does that for me. I’ll send out an email and tell them something is attached, and they’ll send back some snappy reply asking if I wrote it in invisible ink.

Accountability laced with lots of sugar – I love that. My shortcoming has to do with a lack of attention to detail, but my team demonstrates over and over how well they love me – warts and all. That was my point. I think God had an additional one. Since the day I confessed this shortcoming, I have remembered to attach documents most of the time. Now I get emails back saying, “Hey, what’s up with you? You attached the document…” (Some people are never happy!)

God reminded me through this silly story that when we confess something and bring it into the light, powerful things happen. I can’t explain how that confession has resulted in better attention to detail on my part. But I can’t argue with the evidence. I may not know how, but I do know who. God is in the business of restoration and renovation. He is Rapha God – healing us, one stitch at a time (Rapha is Hebrew meaning healing, one stitch at a time).

Thought for today: Are you hurting? Pray. Do you feel great? Sing. Are you sick? Call the church leaders together to pray and anoint you with oil in the name of the Master. Believing – prayer will heal you, and Jesus will put you on your feet. And if you’ve sinned, you’ll be forgiven – healed inside and out. Make this your common practice: Confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you can live together whole and healed. The prayer of a person living right with God is something powerful to be reckoned with. James 5:13-16 The Message

Thought for tomorrow: Perhaps the only thing that’s hindering your restoration and renovation is a reluctance to confess. Is that possible?

May 4
Teresa McBean

No comments:

Chat Rooms