May 15

Step 5: We admitted to God, to ourselves and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs.
May 15
Recommended Reading Psalm 32 and Mark 4
I suppose most of us think that the easiest part of this admitting wrongs deal is to ourselves. I wonder if you’re tempted to skim over that little two word phrase “to ourselves” because you think you already did your fourth step, what more is needed?
But lest we forget, most of us are masters at deception, especially self-deception. For instance, I was out shopping for some new wardrobe editions, which is not my favorite thing to do. Fortunately, I ran smack into a good story – which made the whole trip worthwhile.
I was in my changing room, minding my own business, when much to my dismay another customer began berating the sales person. Normally, I ignore berating. But this particular sales person happens to be a personal friend. And I can speak with complete confidence on this one – she is an awesome help if you’re stuck in a changing room trying to find a new outfit that you’ll wear for ten years – and you only have ten minutes to look, decide and purchase the thing.
“What’s wrong with these manufacturers? They keep making these clothes smaller and smaller. I’ve been a size 8 for 30 years! Take it all back – obviously, this has become a cheap store with tawdry merchandise.” Seriously, she than flung a pile of clothes at my friend and stormed off.
Ok, I looked. All I can say is that from my viewpoint, that woman is definitely not a size eight. That’s all I’ll say on the subject. My lips are sealed.
But the moment inspired me to flee my shopping nightmare and return to my studies. Truthfully, we can all relate to this woman who can’t quite admit to herself that she is no longer a petite size 8.

Thought for today: So I think sometimes this is the hardest part of step five -telling ourselves the truth.

Thought for tomorrow: All a man’s ways seem innocent to him but motives are weighed by the Lord. Proverbs 16:2 I also like how the New Living Translation words this verse…People may be pure in their own eyes, but the Lord examines their motives.
Tomorrow, I’m going to borrow liberally from some advice the Drs. Ryan offer in their bible study entitled “Recovery from Guilt” – I think they have a lot to say to us that might help us over this particular recovery hurtle.

May 15

Teresa McBean

No comments:

Chat Rooms