May 1

Step 5: We admitted to God, to ourselves and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs.

May 1

Recommended Reading: Job 27, 28, 29

One of my favorite Bible stories is found in Genesis 18. Three strangers have shown up at Abraham’s house. It appears that two were angels, and one was the Lord himself. Speaking prophesies of a return visit – a promise is also delivered. Truly, it’s a restatement of a promise given many years ago. It seems that in the grand scheme of God, Sarah is destined to have a baby.

I suspect with the advanced age of both she and her husband Abraham, those two had long ago given up on having a child. Barren and elderly, Sarah thought this idea preposterous. (Further reading of the scriptures will tell us that indeed, God does deliver on this promise.) Sarah’s response? She laughs.

At this point in the story, we stumble upon my personal favorite subplot. The Lord turns to Abraham and asks him why Sarah laughed. (Imagine your great-grandma getting pregnant and see if that might bring a mirthful response from you!)
Sarah lies and says, “I did not laugh.”
The Lord says, “Yes, you did laugh.”
“I did not!”
“Did too!”
“Did not!”

“Did too!” And thus, we have the first recorded “He said – She said” conversation in history!
I always re-read this account prior to completing a fifth step. Like Sarah, I am often reluctant to “admit” things to God, others and even myself. And here’s the part that really bugs me – I sometimes have trouble admitting minor stuff too. Sarah was asked to admit to laughter – not capital murder! And yet ….she just couldn’t quite pull the trigger and say, “I laughed.”
Who could fault Sarah a little chuckle?

I’ve heard others take Sarah’s inventory and commentate that this shows a lack of faith. I don’t know about that one! I’ve been pregnant three times, and I am now past the typical years one thinks of as childbearing. If God showed up at my house with some buddies and told me I was going to have a child – wow – let’s just say a little chuckle would be the least offensive response likely to pop out of my mouth.

Fortunately, we also have Job as a teacher and guide. We know from watching him struggle that God is not offended by our honesty. History has revealed several key things that stir God’s wrath – us being honest with him is not one of them. So like Job, we can be honest with God. That’ll be an important point to keep in mind when you review your fourth step inventory and approach the throne of grace with it clutched tightly in your fist.

Thought for today: Confession isn’t for sissies. But it has helped me take this important next right step when I understand the character and intentions of the One to whom I must come clean.

Thought for tomorrow: For the word of God is full of living power. It is sharper than the sharpest knife, cutting deep into our innermost thoughts and desires. It exposes us for what we really are. Nothing in all creation can hide from him. Everything is naked and exposed before his eyes. This is the God to whom we must explain all that we have done. This is why we have a great High Priest who has gone to heaven, Jesus the son of God. Let us cling to him and never stop trusting him. This High Priest of ours understands our weaknesses, for he faced all of the same temptations we do, yet he did not sin. So let us come boldly to the throne of our gracious God. There we will receive his mercy, and we will find grace to help us when we need it. Hebrews 4:12-16 NLT

May 1
Teresa McBean

No comments:

Chat Rooms