April 30

Read Job 27, 28 and 29 – take your time on this one!

“But do people know where to find wisdom? Where can they find understanding? No one knows where to find it, for it is not found among the living. ‘It is not here,’ says the ocean. ‘Nor is it here, says the sea. It cannot be bought with gold. I t cannot be purchased with silver….It cannot be purchased with jewels mounted in fine gold…. But do people know where to find wisdom? Where can they find understanding?” Job 28: 12-15,17, 20 NLT

Where have you looked for wisdom and understanding?

I’ve stared into the face of the ocean and thought to myself – if I got to do this every day, my life would be wonderful.

I remember once upon a time a firmly held conviction that if my kitchen was renovated to my specifications, I’d be happy.

I love that wedding ring upgrade I got a few years ago. I enjoy it every time my eyes hit its sparkle.

I thought if my children made a certain team and played a certain position, got into the right schools (big debate on what that means at my house), and at the right time find the right spouse – I’d be perfectly content. I’ve even thought that if I could raise kids who didn’t self-medicate and loved God with all their hearts, mind and strength – I could be considered wise! Boy, was that delusional thinking!

But Job is right. Even if we acquire those things, wisdom and understanding do not tag along with them.

I love my ocean vacations, but running away and joining the navy isn’t in my future. I got that kitchen renovation – and I’m still a mediocre cook who lets her dirty dishes pile up in the sink (although the sink is really awesome). My wedding ring upgrade didn’t bring with it new skill sets for how to stay blissfully wed. I’ve had to look elsewhere for that kind of wisdom. My children have made a variety of choices – and I’ve learned that I really had very little to do with them – whether they were for good or not quite right (Who’s to say which decision falls in which category?).

So – where have you looked for wisdom and understanding?

Thought for today: Take a few minutes and inventory all the places you’ve looked to find your hope, your peace, and your purpose. How’s that working for you?

Thought for tomorrow: God alone understands the way to wisdom; he knows where it can be fund, for he looks through the whole earth and sees everything under the heavens…. And this is what he says to all humanity: “The fear of the Lord is true wisdom; to forsake evil is real understanding.” Job 28: 23-24, 28 NLT

No comments:

Chat Rooms