April 17

Read Romans 15 and 16

One of the beautiful blessings tucked into the fabric of step four is hope. A thorough step four requires us to lean into our pain. Listing my resentments, disappointments, fears, sexual misbehaviors, etc. requires me to uncover my eyes and stare myself in the face. Step four wipes away my illusions and good intentions, my dreams and “if onlys.” An accurate inventory tells me what is not what I wish. This kind of brutal honesty is frightening, but – if I can do this - I will be developing spiritual muscles that will help prepare me for God’s grand epic adventure.

And that gives me hope. If I can embrace my current suffering and make friends with the truth about me, then I am one step closer to my true God-created identity. I realize after reading the book of Romans that God is calling each of us to live larger than any human is capable. If I want what God wants for me, I better be willing to get myself ready to receive my call. Paul ends this big book with several instructions: be strong and bear with the failings of the weak, Christ is our model – we aren’t created to live life trying to please ourselves, scripture was written to give us endurance and encouragement – so I assume we’re going to need it, accept others – even the annoying. Bottom line: as we grow up, we need to grow strong – God has big plans for us – and we’re in need of character. (Which is far different from acting like a character!)

Thought for today: Take time today and list your strengths. God has given each of us gifts. What are yours?

Thought for tomorrow: May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. Romans 15:13 NIV

No comments:

Chat Rooms