April 19

Read Job 2

Have you ever had a day when you asked, “Can it get any worse than this?”
Job did. One day the news got worse and worse.

First, a messenger arrived at Job’s house (where they were feasting) and reported the death and loss of all his animals and farmhands. That’s economic loss.

Next, another messenger reports a freak fire that destroys all his sheep and shepherds. More economic loss.

Then, a raid is reported that cost him his camels and servants. This is the virtual collapse of Job’s financial empire.

Finally, the last and most horrendous loss – a sudden wind sweeps in from the wilderness, collapsing his house and killing all Job’s children.

And his initial response, “In all of this, Job did not sin by blaming God.” Job 1:22 NLT

In chapter 2, we realize that more bad news follows swiftly on the heels of day 1. Satan steals Job’s health. “No one said a word to Job, for they saw that his suffering was too great for words.” Job 2:13 NLT

Thought for today: I wonder how lonely Job felt. All is lost. His friends come to sit with him, but Job’s suffering is so overwhelming that no one can find a word of comfort. People who suffer tell me that sometimes having a friend just to sit with them is the best comfort of all in times of great sorrow. But we’ll soon discover that these friends can’t hold their tongues for long. Although silence may be the only response necessary in the face of great pain – simply embracing our suffering is sometimes too hard, and we feel compelled to fill it with words. I wonder if Job had the urge to run and hide. Have you felt like hiding from others? List the times you have isolated yourself. Isolation is a way of hiding and/or self-protection. It’s a way of avoiding pain and not taking risks. Code words: fear rejection, timid and shy, feel defeated, procrastinate, see ourselves as unique, lonely, blame others for our relationship deficits.
I isolate ______ because ____. This affects ____. This activates ____. This makes me feel ____.

Thought for tomorrow: I remember my affliction and my wandering, the bitterness and the gall. I well remember them, and my soul is downcast within me. Yet this I call to mind and therefore I have hope: Because of the Lord’s great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. Lamentations 3:19-22 NIV

No comments:

Chat Rooms