April 22

Read Job 6 and 7

One of the great things about Job is his honesty. New Testament writers remind us that much that is written in scripture is placed there to encourage us, guide us, exhort us, etc. I think Job is a great guy to go to for advice when it comes to suffering.

As Job speaks, I’m reminded of one of the prerequisites for an honest conversation. I’m careful about throwing honesty around in a willy nilly fashion. The older I get, the more cautious I am with the gift of honesty.

I used to think that, since the truth will set you free, stating the truth is always a good thing. And it is – to a point. But I’ve also learned to moderate my expressions. Why? Because sometimes what I believe is truth is really better described as what feels like truth for me at the moment. Sometimes, I may believe something is true with all my heart, even though I’m completely wrong-headed. Emotions cloud perspective. Trauma does strange things to our brain. Years ago we were in a car accident and I just knew that my images of the accident were THE FACTS. Taking an air bag to the face and the subsequent concussion scrambled my brain.

According to my family, my memories were WRONG. How can that be? To this day, when I remember the accident, I see a vision that feels real to me. But even I have to admit that the other four passengers saw the same thing – and it is very different from my “truth”. So now I tread cautiously around the edges of my perspective on truth. Secondly, just because some is true, it doesn’t mean it is appropriate to share it. I’m trying to develop my spiritual muscles – learning better how to respect truth. Sometimes silence is the best policy. Sometimes it’s a tacit endorsement of a lie to remain quiet. Scripture warns us that there are times when to rebuke a scoffer – even with the truth – even when it would be helpful for them to hear it – could be dangerous. Both Old and New Testament writers warn us not to rebuke a scoffer.

Sometimes stating the truth is a rebuke – and we shouldn’t speak it.
That said, Job just lets it all hang out. He must have felt very safe with God to speak so frankly. Although his friends clearly act like goofs, their friendship must have a history of safety and love. Job obviously has not a history of hiding his thoughts and feelings. Job is a great model.

Thought for today: Have you been a person who can be honest in a safe way? Are you a person people can be honest around, without fear of speaking to a scoffer? Do you have a history of honesty abuse?

Thought for tomorrow: Despite the pain, I have not denied the words of the Holy One. Job 6:10

One last thought – it is helpful to remember that although our brains may be fuzzy in the truth department, God is a great source for a truth check up. If our truths deny the words of God, we might need to rethink what we believe.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

On this subject, I really like the words of novelist Anne Lamott (and this is from memory, so the quote might be imprecise): "You don't always have to chop with the sword of truth. You can point with it, too."

Anonymous said...

Nice advice anonymous.

Chat Rooms