April 4

Step 4: We made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves.

April 4

Scripture reading for today: Romans 1

According to The Twelve Steps for Christians – “A moral inventory is a list of our weaknesses and our strengths.” And so I ask you – who decides what is weak and what is strong? Here’s the thing – one man’s weakness can be viewed as another man’s strength.

Example. Before I say this, know that I am not at all making a political statement – so don’t get all upset by this. Just read it. I was listening to a talk radio host talking about how brave and courageous George Bush is in regards to his protective measures on behalf of our country – this person sees the President’s actions as strong. Another guy I was listening to said Bush is a bully and has unresolved hostility issues. So in this man’s view – Bush’s behavior is a sign of weakness. All I’m saying here is that taking an inventory requires prayer, because it isn’t an easy thing to do with rigorous honesty and accuracy.

Another example. I’m on a plane this morning, flying to visit my mom for her birthday, and I am reading a sales catalogue with a lot of pithy sayings:

“Resolve to succeed. The greatest discovery one can make is that nothing is impossible.” Really? Do you agree? Is there anything that you have resolved to succeed at (such as weight loss, abstinence from a particular substance, or even becoming a saintly, patient person) and failed? How will you inventory that situation?

“Excellence is the result of caring more than others think is wise, risking more than others think is safe, dreaming more than others think is practical, and expecting more than others think is possible.” Now that’s inspiring – but is it an indicator of strength (big faith) or codependent folly? I don’t know!!!

And it for this very reason that I beg you – learn how to pray. Inventories can only be accomplished with God’s help. I’m not asking you to become a monk, just start like this: “Lord, show me what you want me to see.” Now that’s a good beginning.

Thought for today: When we lose our conscious contact with God, or never pursue it – yucky things happen.

“For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened.” Romans 1:21 NIV

Thought for tomorrow: Folks, it could happen. As you wade through your fourth step – keep reviewing steps one, two and three. If we try to do an inventory strictly by our own wits, we may reap futility and foolishness.

April 4
Teresa McBean

1 comment:

GodsBabyGrl said...

I was reading Daily in Christ 4/6/07 and the author was speaking about the values that we learn from society or how different they are than what scripture teaches us, and I think I fall into at least one of those ways of thinking each day. I was grateful for the reminder.

Chat Rooms