May 17

Step 5: We admitted to God, to ourselves and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs.

May 17

Recommended Reading Psalm 33 and Mark 6
One time I had something tough that I needed to admit to another human and I chose poorly. Here’s just a sample of what I heard that day. “I can’t believe you did that. What were you thinking? I’m very disappointed in you. You call yourself a believer? If you just read scripture and prayed more – none of this would have happened!”
I didn’t give up. Armed with what I knew from God’s word, I just had a feeling that this was not the response God would have wanted me to receive. This time - Eureka! I can’t say it was fun, but it was fantastic. My second friend had what it took on that particular day to not let me off the hook of my wrong doing and yet somehow managed to not skewer me with the hook’s pointy edge. In fact, I felt as if my friend deftly and gently acted as God’s assistant while He performed open heart surgery, healing my aching broken heart.
Sometimes we shop around, looking for people to tell us what we want to here. This is not what I’m talking about. I’m asking you to shop ‘til you drop – until you find the person that can tell you what God wants you to hear – without blame, shame, or condemnation. This takes a very special person. (The very kind of individual that you are growing into!)

Thought for today: Hebrews four makes reference to scripture being sharper than a two edged sword. Some translations say it is sharper than the sharpest knife. I’ve heard theologians speak about how the words used in this passage are surgical terms. Certainly that’s what I experienced during my fifth step process. It was like surgery. We’ve been pretty skilled at medicating our aches and pains hoping to avoid suffering. A step five affords us the opportunity to begin healing the sore that so desperately needs medical attention – a wound that is hurting our spirit.

Thought for tomorrow: For the word of God is full of living power. It is sharper than the sharpest knife, cutting deep into our innermost thoughts and desires. It exposes us for what we really are. Nothing in all creation can hide from him. Everything is naked and exposed before his eyes. This is the God to whom we must explain all that we have done. This is why we have a great High Priest who has gone to heaven, Jesus the Son of God. Let us cling to him and never stop trusting him. This High Priest of ours understands our weaknesses, for he faced all of the same temptations we do, yet he did not sin. So let us come boldly to the throne of our gracious God. There we will receive his mercy, and we will find grace to help us when we need it. Hebrews 4:12-16 NIV

May 17
Teresa McBean

No comments:

Chat Rooms