Having Heart In A Sometimes Heartless World


Day 34 - The Pursuit of Joy

Scripture focus: The Lord said, "I have indeed seen the misery of my people. I have heard them crying out and I am concerned about their suffering. So I have come down to rescue them. . ." Exodus 3:7-8 NIV

I must confess that I don't always appreciate suffering or count it all joy. I especially hate suffering when it falls upon my children. I've been known to explain this to God on more than one occasion. The next time I encounter a story of suffering, I will repeat my previous pattern - wishing there was another way. I'll probably whine and complain. I might moan and groan. Tears will be shed. But that's not all I'll do.

I've found comfort in the psalmist's perspective (see Psalm 6). He too cries out in a messy way in the midst of misery. He doesn't attempt to buck up and put on a happy face. Thank God for providing us this honest portrayal of not only big suffering, but big believing.

I know that many people equate suffering with sin. Some say it's a sign of unbelief or too small faith. I don't know where that comes from. I can't find it in scripture. In fact, quite the contrary is true. Scripture is chock full of people who have believed AND suffered.

The psalmist chronicles not only his big suffering but his big believing. Although he cries out to God asking for mercy, these are not the cries of a guy afraid of the answer. He acknowledges (do not rebuke me in your anger or discipline me in your wrath. . .) that God has the power to rebuke and discipline. That's true. But what he's counting on, believing in, and asking for is God's mercy - an attitude of pity for one who is in need; compassion for the ills of others; to feel sympathy with the misery of another; God's attitude towards those in distress (See Vine's Expository Dictionary of New Testament Words).

This is so important. God is powerful. With a spoken word and breath, he created everything we see, feel, taste, smell and hear - from nothing. He could judge, rebuke, smite, destroy - on a whim. Who could stop the mighty hand of God? And if that's one's perspective, I doubt anyone would have the audacity to tell God to not rebuke or discipline them! And yet - isn't that what the psalmist says? Why does he say that? I think it is because he is acknowledging God's right and power to do so - because he feels safe in his mercy, grace and love.

I hate suffering and would prefer to never experience it again. But more than that, I love knowing that if when I suffer, God sees my misery. He will hear my crying out. He is concerned about my pain. He will come and rescue me - whether I deserve rescue or retribution. His compassionate response to my wretchedness is not contingent upon my falling in line and performing up to code. It is the natural outpouring of his character.

And it is because of this truth that I suggest you lean into your suffering. Cry out to God! I happen to believe that we are better off relying on his power to rescue than our own pitiful attempts to avoid suffering. And although it seems crazy in a world that suggests we can live "pain free" - I still think it is better to wrestle with what it means to count it all joy in the midst of trials than it is to live independently of God, hoping that our own strategies for self-satisfaction work.

Recommended reading: Exodus 18 and 19 in the morning; Matthew 24 and Psalm 28 in the evening

Above all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it. Proverbs 4:23 TNIV


Click "Comments" Below to Join the Discussion

Scroll down to the Archive Section to View Previous Devotionals.






No comments:

Blog Archive

Chat Rooms