Having Heart In A Sometimes Heartless World


Day 45 - An email from the edge

Scripture focus: Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God. For just as the sufferings of Christ flow over into our lives, so also through Christ our comfort overflows. If we are distressed, it is for your comfort and salvation; if we are comforted, it is for your comfort, which produces in you patient endurance of the same sufferings we suffer. And our hope for you is firm, because we know that just as you share in our sufferings, so also you share in our comfort. 2 Corinthians 1:3-7 NIV

There's another really great reason to get past all the barriers that stand in between us and the experience of productive suffering: other people. How we handle suffering effects others in ways we may never understand or imagine. My friend Tony sent me an email that he says is ok to share with you.

"Good Morning Teresa - When we came to church on the first Sunday of this year and you said our first word for the year was suffering I thought," Oh great. Just what I don't want to hear." We have been dealing with a few issues in our family and it seemed that suffering is all we have done over the past two years. I was not too thrilled with starting the year off with talking about suffering. Well I was so wrong! I know that the timing of the message was no accident. This is the first time I have ever been laid off. However I did lose a job for something I had done and was justifiably terminated. I could deal with that a little better because down deep I knew I deserved it. However, in this case I knew that I had done a good job in fact I was ranked 4th in profitability out of 36 reps. I felt like I had been unfairly laid off and was very angry. We belong to a wonderful small group from NorthStar. We all come from different backgrounds but share so many things in common. Again with the clichés- I know that God put us together. Before group last night I was very angry and did not want to be around anyone. I did not read the material before group and guess what? The first question was about isolating. Wow. I am glad I went. My second family shows me compassion - not pity, hope - not fear. When this first happened I was thinking - Why Me Lord? Then I thought - Why Not Me? The messages concerning suffering have been very eye opening for me. This is just another bump in the road of life and my attitude will dictate if this will be productive suffering. Up to last night it has not been productive suffering. But I am choosing to move forward with the support of my family, small group and church to assure that this will be productive suffering. I want to set a good example for my children on how to deal with adversity. I could not imagine going through this alone. My prayer is that everyone who attends North Star would be a part of a small group. There was a reason Jesus surrounded himself with 12 people, community. He did it right. I hope to be able to testify in the very near future how productive suffering has helped me grow as a Christian, Person and Father."

Tony has set us an example to follow. He's suffering - and he knows it. He's honestly confessing his suffering - and his justifiable resentment. But that's not all - he climbs out of his personal pool of pity and heads off to his home bible study group - even though he hasn't done his homework. Instead of showing up defensive, he simply shows up. Once there (perhaps in response to his honest cries of suffering???) the Holy Spirit opens his mind and heart to reframing his perspective. Tony leaves his study having been the biggest winner of the evening - chock full of second-hand compassion and hope. He goes home renewed - now his suffering has profound meaning. Way to go Tony!

(If you'd like to comment to Tony about his story - try out the blog!)

Recommended reading: Exodus 37 and 38 in the morning; Mark 1 in the evening

Above all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it. Proverbs 4:23 TNIV


Click "Comments" Below to Join the Discussion

Scroll down to the Archive Section to View Previous Devotionals.

1 comment:

1ncebitten said...

WoW Thank you for sharing your personal experience, strength and hope with your community who truly needs to hear "you are not alone"

Blog Archive

Chat Rooms