Having Heart In A Sometimes Heartless World


Day 44 - Is ignorance bliss?

Scripture focus: He reached down from heaven and rescued me, he drew me out of deep waters. He led me to a place of safety; he rescued me because he delights in me. Psalm 18:16, 19 NLT

Have you ever watched the current hit television show "The Biggest Loser"? I love it!

I've noticed a pattern. Many contestants are shocked when they get on the scale on the show's first episode of the season. Lots of them say they hadn't stepped on a scale or looked in a mirror in years. Did either of those attempts to avoid the seriousness s of their obesity problem provide any positive outcome? If we don't know how much we weigh or whether our outfit reveals our extra padding - does that mean others don't notice? Is "not seeing" the equivalent of "not having" an issue?

Avoiding acknowledgement of a problem never moves us to a solution.

I want to give you a word of encouragement that has nothing to do with scales or unflattering clothes. I want you to consider the truth that when we stop avoiding our suffering, problems and heartaches, we then have the opportunity to cry out to God for rescue.

If there are painful truths that are self-evident that you are avoiding like the plague - I pray that you will stop running and turn around, go back, and face your pain. Do it not because you're brave or strong or know how to solve your problem. Do it not because you're assured that the outcome will be favorable. Do it not out of a sense of compliance or obligation.

Do it because you know that when you suffer, and cry out, God hears your suffering, sees your misery, responds to your cries for help and rescues you.

I pray that you will take the time now to lay out your suffering before Rapha God - the one who heals.

Recommended reading: Exodus 36 in the morning; Psalm 34 and Proverbs 19 in the evening

Above all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it. Proverbs 4:23 TNIV


Click "Comments" Below to Join the Discussion

Scroll down to the Archive Section to View Previous Devotionals.

1 comment:

Hzjewl said...

I sometimes think people suffer because they believe it's glorifying to God or it keeps them (h)umble. I've never understood that because as much as I've done throughout my entire life, it's not a glorifying or humbling experience; it's just plain rotten.

Blog Archive

Chat Rooms