August 1


Scripture focus: "You're blessed when you're at the end of your rope. With less of you there is more of God and his rule." Matthew 5:3 (The Message)


Eugene Peterson was interviewed about his work in translating the bible The Message – you can find the very lively discussion on YouTube. During that interview, he recounted a story about his efforts to translate Matthew five, a familiar passage of scripture commonly referred to as "the beatitudes." Peterson wanted to replace 'blessed' with lucky – and some of the editors reportedly wouldn't have it. They said that 'lucky' was a concept that wouldn't sit well with Christians. He submitted to their wisdom, and we end up with the translation "blessed."


I'm left pondering why a discussion over "lucky" or "blessed" was the issue.


What's not sitting well with me is the concept that when I am at the end of my rope, I'm instructed to believe that I am a lucky duck. Usually, hanging by thread makes me feel more lost than lucky.


Clearly God's ways and mine are not always synchronized.


One of the reasons for this disconnect is my own personal confusion over boundaries. I get confused and start thinking my life is about my own personal happiness. I forget that God doesn't stand on tippy toe at the precipice of eternity, wringing his hands in consternation every single time my life doesn't go according to MY plans.


This month we're going to devote a few minutes each day to thinking about boundaries – what are they, why are they good for us, how we acquire or repair them, and a few tough truths about the injurious nature of boundaries gone badly. We will rely heavily on the works of Dr. Henry Cloud and Dr. John Townsend – two men who are boundary gurus. You can visit their website, buy their books, watch their DVDs. You will find materials that relate specifically to all sorts of relationships – in marriage, at work, with children, etc. I hope you'll take advantage of those materials and enjoy their biblical, clear teachings.


During this devotional series, we're going to consider how this information could actually help us feel downright lucky – even when we are at the end of our rope.


Recommended reading: 2 Samuel 1-3

- click on the word comments and join our conversation

© Copyright 2009
NorthStar Community

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

sometimes i feel as if 33 1/3% of me (like a long playing record) is at the end of my rope. the other 66 2/3% is kind of at rest, trusting, sometimes a little anxious, day dreaming into the future. all added up, 100% really not focused on God. then i snap back to being in the moment, aware that God has everything in hand. all i can do is surrender it all. we've all had [hopefully] those moments when something happens that brings us to say 'wow, look at what God did for me, this isn't a coincidence; how incredible.' what are the chances/probability of this happening to/for me?' then recently the observation 'hit' me, that yes He is loving me, but He is loving billions of 'me's' at the same time/moment-and throwing in something special [and very personal, because He knows each one of us down to the tiniest detail] for each one of the billions just because He IS love and love always blesses. how incredible and awesome. a nanny mouse.

Blog Archive

Chat Rooms