July 3 - Listening

Scripture focus:
So Jesus explained himself at length. "I'm telling you this straight. The Son can't independently do a thing, only what he sees the Father doing. What the Father does, the Son does. The Father loves the Son and includes him in everything he is doing. John 5:19-20 (The Message)

As I hurtled through the skies toward my next appointment, I came across the words of the very straight talking Son of God and was reminded anew of exactly what must happen in order to 'be ye transformed.'

Did Jesus say disgraced beauty queens needed to become truly gorgeous inside and out? How did Jesus say greedy people would transform into generous givers? When do the addicted find freedom? Did Jesus suggest we redouble our bible study, increase our prayer potential, attend church more faithfully, commit to better following, or do more outreach into our community? NO HE DID NOT SAY ANY OF THOSE THINGS!

Do you remember in the scriptures how Martha was busy doing a bunch of good things, and she got all tensed up because Mary was wasting time listening to Jesus? What did Jesus say? "Only one thing is necessary." Listen.

Listen to God.

My nephew spent a few days with us during our son's graduation weekend. I realized how much Robbie loves his family. Was it the long car ride that convinced me of his love? Did his patient attention during Michael's graduation ceremony seal the deal that this kid loves his cousin?

Those were good and kind acts. But I know he loves us because he listens when others in the family speak. He stays engaged in the conversation. He asks questions for clarification. He takes the time to give input, too. He adds thoughtful commentary, makes suggestions, and brings a youthful creativity of thought to the conversation.

People who love others listen to them without murky motivations. They aren't sizing up the crowd, trying to figure out how to get others to like them or do for them. They listen because they deeply care for what the other person is sharing.

Robbie loved well. And so must we. It is the one thing, that if we miss it, we miss everything. Trusting God, loving God, listening to God, and then, and only then, we will know what to do. I believe that this is that one thing that can save us from our addiction to self.

Recommended reading:
Judges 1-3

- click on the word comments and join our conversation

© Copyright 2009
NorthStar Community

1 comment:

I Might be Wrong said...

Trusting,loving,and listening is the basis for all relationship that leads to community and saves one from self.I struggle with doing all three at once.I struggle the most with listening, hearing what is being said without the filters in my head telling me what is being said.I find myself rushing conversations to an end I do not feel are important or just checking out.I am working on listening and being present as I ask God to get me out of the way.Can you trust without loving and listening? Can you Love without trusting and listening?Can you listen without trusting and loving? Can I really only struggle with one and not be affecting the others, is that denial? Help?
God bless,Have a joyous 4th!

Blog Archive

Chat Rooms