July 11 - All have sinned

Scripture focus: Scripture leaves no doubt about it: There's nobody living right, not even one, nobody who knows the score, nobody alert for God. They've all taken the wrong turn; they've all wandered down blind alleys. No one's living right; I can't find a single one. Their throats are gaping graves, their tongues slick as mudslides. Every word they speak is tinged with poison. They open their mouths and pollute the air. They race for the honor of sinner-of-the-year, litter the land with heartbreak and ruin, Don't know the first thing about living with others. They never give God the time of day.

This makes it clear, doesn't it, that whatever is written in these Scriptures is not what God says about others but to us to whom these Scriptures were addressed in the first place! And it's clear enough, isn't it, that we're sinners, every one of us, in the same sinking boat with everybody else? Our involvement with God's revelation doesn't put us right with God. What it does is force us to face our complicity in everyone else's sin. Romans 3:10-20 (The Message)

We get it, right? No one lives right. All have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God.

So where's the hope?

According to Lawrence Calhoun and Richard Tedeschi, professors at UNC-Charlotte, there's plenty of reason to hope. "Trauma can lead to positive change..."

Let me suggest a hard truth. Sometimes we love our trauma more than we desire our freedom.

Getting stuck in our hurt feelings and victim status freezes us from action. It gives us a good excuse to not live the right life.

I know this sounds harsh, and I do not mean to minimize the nature and significance of our suffering -- haven't we spent months acknowledging the profound and deleterious effects of betrayal?

At some point we have to decide what is going to define us -- our suffering or our Savior.

What is your defining life moment up to this point in your journey?

Tomorrow we turn our attention to the solution. Whew! I can't wait!

Recommended reading: Psalm 75-77

- click on the word comments and join our conversation

© Copyright 2009 NorthStar Community

4 comments:

randy pepin said...

my defining life moment today, at this moment, is so different from yesterday or the day before, or the day before that. "for it is precept upon precept, precept upon precept,line upon line, line upon line, here a little, there a little." (Isaiah 28:10) I am not there yet, but I am inch by inch, moment by moment, moving away from my desire to be instantly totally healed, and moving by small degrees towards the light. This morning it took me a couple seconds less to confess my sins not yet confessed when I closed my eyes and slept last night, than it took yesterday. (if we/I confess your/my sin, He is faithful and just,and will forgive our/my sins and cleanse us/me from all unrighteousness. I John 1:9) Tonight a few seconds less, tomorrow a few seconds less for confession. Sometimes I catch it ALMOST right away when I fall short. my defining moment in my life? to be a work in progress in the North Star 'hut', and wanting to stay there/here with support in receiving comfort, support, and correction.

Anonymous said...

Abbot and Costello Niagara Falls... Slowly I turn, step by step, inch by inch....

Anonymous said...

Thanks for lightening the moment, anonymous. You are so right; it never hurts to bring a smile to even serious moments. Mentioning only receiving is so selfish, on my part. No, that isn't what you were hinting at, but I was able to see that in me because of your smile. A smile is a part of comforting and supporting others. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

A good laugh is some of the best medicine I can take especially if it is about my self realization of how insane I was when out there many years ago. WHAT WAS I THINKING? I haven't a clue.

Love you guys.

Blog Archive

Chat Rooms