October 10

Scripture focus: It's common knowledge that "God goes against the willful proud; God gives grace to the willing humble." So let God work his will in you. Yell a loud no to the Devil and watch him scamper. Say a quiet yes to God and he'll be there in no time. Quit dabbling in sin. Purify your inner life. Quit playing the field. Hit bottom, and cry your eyes out. The fun and games are over. Get serious, really serious. Get down on your knees before the Master; it's the only way you'll get on your feet. Don't bad-mouth each other, friends. It's God's Word, his Message, his Royal Rule, that takes a beating in that kind of talk. You're supposed to be honoring the Message, not writing graffiti all over it. God is in charge of deciding human destiny. Who do you think you are to meddle in the destiny of others? James 4:6-12, The Message

So let God work his will in you.

It is God who works in us as we humble ourselves before him.

Our job is to believe.

God’s job is to work his will in us.

One way that I experience spiritual renewal is by reminding myself of God’s will – daily.

Each day when I read a portion of God’s word, if I find a gem about God’s will, I whip out a highlighter and mark it. Then I dig into my desk drawer and pull out my notebook labeled “God’s will” and I enter the passage and its address.

Inevitably, I will find myself entering the land of the “willful proud” and that’s a yucky place. When I find myself feeling superior, resistant to humility, and bigger than my britches, I take out the notebook and read aloud.

This is what my Father wants: that anyone who sees the Son and trusts who he is and what he does and then aligns with him will enter real life, eternal life. My part is to put them on their feet alive and whole at the completion of time.” (John 6:39-40 The Message)

…for it is God who work in you to will… (Philippians 1:15 The Message)

…God’s will that you should be holy… (1 Thessalonians 4:3 The Message)

Be cheerful no matter what; pray all the time; thank God no matter what happens. This is the way God wants you who belong to Christ Jesus to live. 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 The Message)

I read until I feel my resistance melt. The melting is God’s thing; the surrender to the renewal process is mine. May we find our way back to God today and enter into his rest.

Recommended reading: Psalm 92 - 94

Click on the word comments below and join our conversation!

© Copyright 2009
NorthStar Community


2 comments:

Peacenik said...

The Message Bible somewhat leaves me empty searching for different words. "Be cheerful all the time" sounds like a chick thing to this dude. Fat chance of that tall order everyday all day. But (where my truth is told) I can seek to acknowledge gratitude which presents itself daily if I am aware. I spent time at the Healing place yesterday and got the 50 cent tour from one of their clients which included 25 minutes of an open class with 150 +- men in attendance. Was rocked to my toes (a good thing) by the message and feedback from the clients. I was one grateful dude for the over all experience and look forward to what I hope will be frequent visits there. A powerful experience and hope others will take the opportunity to check out the Thursday and Friday 3-4:00PM class meeting for a dose of what all of us recovery guys could use.

Hzjewl said...

Peacenik, I've been to the Healing Place even though I'm a chick. Got the 50 cent tour and saw the behind the scenes administrative stuff that goes into a place like this. After the tour I could tell why these men had hope in their hearts which showed through the smiles on their faces. I pray to one day be involved in opening a female version of the Healing Place. I do know that only God's will can be for my life and that He places that will in me to carry out, so it's vital to keep this stubborn pride in me in check.

Blog Archive

Chat Rooms