October 4

Scripture focus: You're blessed when you're at the end of your rope. With less of you there is more of God and his rule. Matthew 5:3, The Message

Yesterday’s story continues…

Since I seemed fresh out of suggestions, I fully expected this woman to stomp off in frustration.

Instead of judging me harshly, she does a surprising thing. She gives me a peek into her heart. She tells me the truth about how she really feels – desperate, hopeless and helpless.

“I don’t know what you’re suggesting here. Are you suggesting I start coming to your church? Do you think I need to go for counseling? Should I go to a lawyer? What do you mean when you say ‘consider doing something different?’”

“Well, at some point availing yourself of any or all of those resources might be good. But I’m not offering you a solution to your problem – although I know you really want one and I don’t blame you a bit for that! What I’m suggesting is that you stop trying to climb the rope. You’ve tried a lot of strategies to stop the suffering and so far none have worked. I’m asking you to consider a new way. Think about what it means to be at the end of your rope. Consider all the ways you’ve tried to make more rope, climb the rope you have, whatever. Then, having done all that, ask yourself this question: what if I really am at the end of my rope? What if there aren’t any other strategies to try?”

“Are you, a minister, suggesting to me that there’s no hope?”

“Good question,” I nod and acknowledge her obvious skepticism. “I think I am suggesting that you and your strategies may not be the source of the hope. There is hope. But you may not be able to experience it until you let go of that very slippery rope of trying to solve this problem on your own.”

She seems really disappointed with the answer. I don’t blame her. It’s a lot to take in, this idea that we’re blessed when we’re at the end of our rope.

But what if Jesus is right? This woman with all her trials and tribulations is on the verge of blessing. Her rope climbing has worn her to a frazzle. Her hands are burned from the friction of the rough rope. Her shoulders strain from the effort of holding up her weight, refusing to let go. She thinks she’s doing the right thing. She’s trying to be responsible. But her best efforts have resulted in a desperate situation with no obvious fixes.

You're blessed when you're at the end of your rope. With less of you there is more of God and his rule. Matthew 5:3, The Message

I’m the first to confess that there’s a lot about end-of-your-rope living that baffles me. But I believe in the one who called it blessed. May we continue to carry our loads, assist with the burdens of others, and ask God to teach us how to live the abundant life that only comes as we let go of the rope.

Recommended reading: Job 29 - 31

Click on the word comments below and join our conversation!

© Copyright 2009
NorthStar Community


No comments:

Blog Archive

Chat Rooms