October 8

Scripture focus: It's common knowledge that "God goes against [resists] the willful proud; God gives grace to the willing humble." So let God work his will in you. Yell a loud no to the Devil and watch him scamper. Say a quiet yes to God and he'll be there in no time. Quit dabbling in sin. Purify your inner life. Quit playing the field. Hit bottom, and cry your eyes out. The fun and games are over. Get serious, really serious. Get down on your knees before the Master; it's the only way you'll get on your feet. Don't bad-mouth each other, friends. It's God's Word, his Message, his Royal Rule, that takes a beating in that kind of talk. You're supposed to be honoring the Message, not writing graffiti all over it. God is in charge of deciding human destiny. Who do you think you are to meddle in the destiny of others? James 4:6-12, The Message

According to the book of James, it’s common knowledge that “God goes against the willful proud…”

Well, maybe so; however, this information was never common knowledge to me. I don’t know who James hangs with, but I’m not sure his perspective is commonly held among people in today’s culture. I’d love to know what you think about this, but it seems to me that most people understand that God would prefer that we not “sin.” The average person probably has an internal list of sins – some large, others small – that they hope to not commit. But, seriously, do you think most of us wake up in the morning and believe that God has an organized plan of opposition in place for “the willful proud?” Notice that the scripture does not say, “God goes against the thief, or murderer, addicted or adulterous.” Even though we know that God desires holy living, and certainly we all agree that thievery, murder, adultery and addiction aren’t part of his ideal plan for anyone – none of those issues are addressed in James 4:6. It says, “God goes against the willful proud…”

In this passage, when James says that “God goes against,” or in some translations “God resists” – James has selected a word that indicates that God has prepared a well-planned, militarily organized resistance against “the willful proud.”

What do you think it means? Who is God prepared to resist? Whose plans are frustrated by God himself this very day? Who are the “willful proud?”

Recommended reading: Philippians 1 - 4

Click on the word comments below and join our conversation!

© Copyright 2009
NorthStar Community


6 comments:

Unknown said...

Maybe the "willful proud" are those who feel they are too good, or too strong, or too smart, to follow, or be led, by God. Just my guess...

Anonymous said...

I am the willful proud. Everyday I have to work on checking my ego. It's a challenge to step back and embrace humility every day.

Hzjewl said...

I'm like you Anonymous. I find myself being willfully proud when I chose to judge others for their behavior. I am learning that instead of judging I should feel empathy for those caught up in the act of stubborn sin.

Unknown said...

Correction to my early morning comment...

"Those" should have been "those of us". : )

lovedtoo said...

more deep thinking...but here goes....it seems like the Scripture is saying that God sets Himself against the "willful proud" who do not resist the devil. I do not believe that God has an organized plan of opposiion against the humble, but certainly He has an organized plan against Satan and wants us to put on the whole armor of God, so that we do resist sin and come to Him humbly for help and forgiveness.

I used to be willfully proud when my heart was set against God and His ways (when I thought I didn't need God, that I could do it "myself"), but when I humbled myself and received His free gift of mercy & grace I was set free from Satan's domain so I would say that I am no longer willfully proud>

Good question. Don't know the answer...more food for thought...

Willfulhurts said...

Maybe old testament but it seems God sets HIS face against us and erects stubling blocks for those of us that resist HIS ways. More to the point he sets them against me when I resist his ways while excersing my proud willfulness.

Blog Archive

Chat Rooms