October 15


Scripture focus: "These words I speak to you are not incidental additions to your life, homeowner improvements to your standard of living. They are foundational words, words to build a life on. If you work these words into your life, you are like a smart carpenter who built his house on solid rock. Rain poured down, the river flooded, a tornado hit—but nothing moved that house. It was fixed to the rock. But if you just use my words in Bible studies and don't work them into your life, you are like a stupid carpenter who built his house on the sandy beach. When a storm rolled in and the waves came up, it collapsed like a house of cards." Matthew 7:24-27


I like daydreaming about remodeling our house. We live in a home built 42 years ago, and I’m always looking for ways to modernize and tweak it. One of my dreams involves removing the roof of our garage and expanding our master bedroom. Pete has no interest in this mammoth project. He is, however, willing to compromise. Anytime I want it, he’ll buy me one of those plastic storage sheds and put it in the backyard.


That’s not the kind of addition I desire. I want to keep the character of our home and add on without looking like we’ve changed a thing. I’m not talking plastic. I’m talking matching bricks and mortar, windows and architecture. I’m talking plumbing, electrical, heating and cooling. I’m talking…nice.


I want the same for my faith. I don’t want to be the kind of person whose faith is housed in a small, poorly constructed room tacked onto the “big house” of my life. I don’t want to have to worry when others wander out of one room of my life into another, cheap plastic part of me. I want my life to be open and honest and seamlessly constructed. Spiritual renewal requires a whole-house renovation, not a small addition stuck in the back corner of the property.


Recommended reading: Psalm 107 - 109

Click on the word comments below and join our conversation!

© Copyright 2009
NorthStar Community


No comments:

Blog Archive

Chat Rooms