Having a Heart in a Sometimes Heartless World


Day 194 – Brain renovation, Part 3

Scripture focus: We use our powerful God-tools for smashing warped philosophies, tearing down barriers erected against the truth of God, fitting every loose thought and emotion and impulse into the structure of life shaped by Christ. Our tools are ready at hand for clearing the ground of every obstruction and building lives of obedience into maturity. 2 Corinthians 10:4-6 The Message

Another warped philosophy that I used to embrace was – LIFE MUST BE EASY. Frankly, I have no idea why I ever bought into this false belief. Life has never been easy. I used to be startled by hardship and suffering. I felt insulted when my projects and plans fell short of my expectations.

But life isn’t easy. Life is tough. Confession – I used to believe that when life was difficult, it was someone’s fault (not usually mine, but someone’s). I believed that frustrated plans and unfortunate events might just be God getting revenge on his wayward children. Honestly, I truly believed that.

Scripture, again, comes to our rescue. As we read through the bible, and if we can off-load some of these false assumptions and foolish presumptions – we realize that God isn’t in the business of punishment so much as he is fully committed to transformation and preparation.

God is no more interested in punishing us that I am eager to punish my own children. I can only think of a few times when Pete and I have ever felt the need to “punish” a child. And in our older age, we’d probably cut those times by half if we could go back and get a parenting redo.

But both of us are fully committed to preparation and discipleship. We have dreams for our children. We see within each of them their own unique “ever-increasing glory” – and we want to provide them with everything we possibly can to support their grand epic adventures.

Life is not easy. Our job as parents is to help prepare our children not only for the adventure, but also the battles. If Pete and I know this as the human, frail, inadequate, goofy parents that we are – how much more does God know? Tons and tons and tons. God knows infinitely more about what his babies need for the good life. And he is completely dedicated to equipping us.

Our job is to give up on false notions that hinder our ability to step as he speaks. Life isn’t easy. Once we figure this out – ironically, life gets a whole lot less frustrating!


Recommended reading: 1 Chronicles 14 and 15 in the morning; Romans 1 and Psalm 5 in the evening


Click on the Word "comments" to Join the Discussion

No comments:

Blog Archive

Chat Rooms