Having a Heart in a Sometimes Heartless World


Day 198 – Panic

Scripture focus: This then is how we know that we belong to the truth, and how we set our hearts at rest in his presence whenever our hearts condemn us. For God is greater than our hearts, and he knows everything. 1 John 3:19-20

I went on vacation a few years ago and had a series of panic attacks – go figure. Eventually someone explained the experience to me. I was told that when we go too long rushing and bustling around, our body acclimates itself to a high-stress, high-adrenaline lifestyle. When we slow down, our body doesn’t know what to do with all that adrenalin it’s been accustomed to pumping into our body like crack, and we experience panic attacks.

Panic – period of fear or discomfort, with 4 or more of the following: pounding heart/chest discomfort, sweating, trembling, shortness of breath, feeling of choking, nausea/abdominal distress, dizzy, faint, depersonalization, derealization, fear of losing control or going crazy, fear of dying, numbness or tingling, chills or hot flushes.

I have made the decision to live in such a way that increases the odds that I never waste a good vacation again detoxing from stress. Before I could fulfill that big dream, I had to learn about the nature of stress. I was actually experiencing low levels of panic on a regular basis – feelings I ignored – until I went on vacation. Sitting on the beach with nothing to do but apply sunscreen on a regular basis, these feelings of discomfort made no sense. But they got my attention! Is it possible that you, too, may have forgotten what it feels like to “set our hearts at rest”? I’ve made major lifestyle changes in order to find my way back to the peace that passes all understanding. The trip was worth it!

I’ve learned a lot about myself along the way. I’ve learned that running away from condemnation is stressful. Leaning into the grace and mercy of God is restful. Avoiding condemnation looks an awful lot like people pleasing. Pleasing God is more peaceful and less confusing than trying to make all the people happy all the time.

I thought stress was normal – and for many of us, that’s true. But it is not healthy. Big hearted people need to learn how to:
· rest, not rescue
· please God, not mere mortals
· respond to conviction, not condemnation.

May your day be filled with peace!



Recommended reading: 1 Chronicles 22 and 23 in the morning; Romans 4 and Psalm 10 in the evening



Post a Comment and Join the Discussion

No comments:

Blog Archive

Chat Rooms