February 12

Scripture focus:
Because of this decision we don't evaluate people by what they have or how they look. We looked at the Messiah that way once and got it all wrong, as you know. We certainly don't look at him that way anymore. Now we look inside, and what we see is that anyone united with the Messiah gets a fresh start, is created new. The old life is gone; a new life burgeons! Look at it! All this comes from the God who settled the relationship between us and him, and then called us to settle our relationships with each other. God put the world square with himself through the Messiah, giving the world a fresh start by offering forgiveness of sins. God has given us the task of telling everyone what he is doing. We're Christ's representatives. God uses us to persuade men and women to drop their differences and enter into God's work of making things right between them. We're speaking for Christ himself now: Become friends with God; he's already a friend with you. 2 Corinthians 5:16-20 MSG

“I appreciated today’s message. It made me feel better. I’m really trying this year to focus on me and feeling good.” I could have let this message ring delightfully in my ears and reply, “Thank you!” But I couldn’t leave it alone. So I sent back a response, asking the listener if I had missed the point, or was her objective in life “feeling good.”

Here is her reply. “Definitely, I want to feel good. I think that’s the mark of a Christian. The fruit of the Spirit – love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, gentleness, faithfulness and self-control – is what I want to display all the time.”

I’m really not trying to be a smarty pants here, but again, I had to reply. “Do you think it will always feel good to produce the fruit of the Spirit?”

“Yes! If it doesn’t, why else would we pursue it?” She answered.

“I’m just asking, because this week I had to use a lot of patience in order to extend someone love in my community. It did not make me feel good. What would have made me feel good was to hit someone on top of the head with a frying pan.” You can’t make stuff like this up. This is the truth; this is how I felt.

“Are you allowed to say stuff like this with your job title?” She asked.

“I don’t know. No one gave me an instruction manual when I started down this path. But it is how I honestly felt in the moment.”

“I think what you’re trying to tell me is that feeling good probably isn’t the goal I should have for 2010.”

“I’m just saying, if this works out for you, I want what you have.” I love how spiritual conversations are not limited to “right” and “wrong” answers – sometimes we just put it out there and ask God to have his way with us. May God have his way with us all today!

Click on the word comments below and join our conversation!

© Copyright 2010 NorthStar Community


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing the interaction between you. This causes me to think about Jesus telling us that we will share in his suffering as we follow him. Also, his summation of God's intentions for us are to love God with ALL of our heart, soul and mind and to love others as we love ourselves. Both of these are a process for me as I try to live in the moment and take the next step as God speaks and I become aware of whatever that thing is. I think Jesus suffered in everyday ways as well as at the end of his earthly life. When he was exhausted and wanted to get away to pray and have quiet time with God, the crowds followed him. Mark says Jesus had compassion on them-they were like lost sheep. I can so relate to being one of those lost sheep. And Jesus ministered to the people even though he really wanted some time to rest and pray. This must not have felt good, but he did what was needed in that moment (displayed the fruit of the spirit). His disciples fell asleep more than once in the Garden of Gethsemane when Jesus most needed their pray and support. I think the human part of Jesus must have felt let down and deserted. Jesus expressed his disappointment but loved his closest friends anyway (fruit of the Spirit)in spite of how he felt at the moment. I wonder if suffering comes in all forms and as we try to take the next step in obedience, the fruit of the spirit is expressed in some way in that moment.

Anonymous said...

i love country music, and there was a country song years ago where the use of a frying pan on the cranial region of another was referred to as an 'attitude adjustment'. 'knowledge puffs up, but love builds up. if any one imagines that he knows something,he does not yet know as he ought to know.'(I Cor. 8:1-2) i've needed a few (actually a lot of) attitude adjustments along the way myself, to get me out of my head-out of 'knowing'. i think it is alright for you to say that, and want to do that, because you care; like Paul, i think your ultimate goal is to see "... that the life of Jesus may be manifested in our mortal flesh." i would not, myself, be a work in progress if not for some 'attitude adjustments' from you. thanks,and blessings. a.'nanny'mouse

Anonymous said...

I find your remarks to this person, and things you say in your teaching refreshing. The honesty and openness is something we often do not get from many Pastors. When you talk to us you are real, and I for one need that. I have talked with my Pastor and all I get is religious gobbl-d-goop that leaves me with more questions, and sometimes with more depression because I know I cannot live up to his expectations or the expectations he claims God has of me. I think we are pretty lucky to have you in our world.

lovedtoo said...

Amen...Ditto..ditto...ditto. I believe NSC and Teresa are God sent....

Hzjewl said...

No doubt about it... They are God sends, especially to someone like me who was led to move 300 miles by Him and ended at NSC, where I belong. I tend to get an "attitude adjustment" every time I attend NSC but come out better for it.

Anonymous said...

Some of us are not lucky enough to live that close and moving is not an option. However, we can keep up by watching on line and reading the daily blog. So, I thank you all for that! I get an attitude adjustment by reading the blogs, and on line teaching. Sure need that sometimes, and by having you on line, I can read or watch at anytime. That's great. Maybe some day I can travel that way and attend in person, but until then, thanks so much for being there.

Blog Archive

Chat Rooms