February 8

Scripture focus:
Because of this decision we don't evaluate people by what they have or how they look. We looked at the Messiah that way once and got it all wrong, as you know. We certainly don't look at him that way anymore. Now we look inside, and what we see is that anyone united with the Messiah gets a fresh start, is created new. The old life is gone; a new life burgeons! Look at it! All this comes from the God who settled the relationship between us and him, and then called us to settle our relationships with each other. God put the world square with himself through the Messiah, giving the world a fresh start by offering forgiveness of sins. God has given us the task of telling everyone what he is doing. We're Christ's representatives. God uses us to persuade men and women to drop their differences and enter into God's work of making things right between them. We're speaking for Christ himself now: Become friends with God; he's already a friend with you. 2 Corinthians 5:16-20 MSG

One of the unexpected blessings that we have as a result of creating a website is our own “worldwide web” of people connections. Each morning I crawl out of bed, grab a cup of caffeine and eagerly head to my home office. I punch up my NSC blog and fire up my email. I always have a message or two or twenty from Brazil, the UK, India or Indiana. I love the interaction! Consistently, these messages are cries for help or frustration. People watch our shows, read our blog, whatever, and they for some reason feel compelled to write and share with us their personal story. I’d love to report that these are happy stories that go like this – “I once was lost, then I was found and now I’m fine.” It’s not like that. But that doesn’t mean the news is all bad. In fact, I love how people are willing to confess the truth about their messy lives – loving God and having secret sins that leave them filled with shame. When people get real about their situation, it is often at that very moment that they see God and his grace in new and transforming ways! Here are a few preapproved-for-anonymously-sharing messages from this past week...

“I have a lot of secret sins. I wish you’d stop talking about sharing our secrets and confessing. This makes me feel uncomfortable. My secrets don’t hurt anyone, why do you keep harping on this? In my community, I am a well known, influential person. If I shared my secret life, my reputation would be tarnished. Are you freaking crazy? There is nothing wrong with having a little privacy. Oh, and by the way, I’m an elder in my church – so don’t think I’m not religious. I normally love your content and quote you often. But this time you’ve gone too far. No one really lives like this.”

“I would love to think that I could be forgiven for my sins. But you don’t understand – my sins are really really bad. A just God would never forgive me – I can’t forgive myself and don’t think I deserve forgiveness.”
More messages tomorrow, and then we’ll discuss ‘em.

Click on the word comments below and join our conversation!

© Copyright 2010 NorthStar Community


7 comments:

I Might be Wrong said...

I once was lost, then I was found, and now I am praying, living in community, loving, learning to trust, and still struggling just struggling better.

I too felt the sting of the "secret shame message", I wonder if it bother the folks without secrets the way it bother me? I have never was an influential person or had an untarnished reputation, my unsecret shame and behavior took care of those items for me. This does not make it any easier for me to share my shame with folks close to me. I for one am glad the message was consistant because it made my sruggle grow and the pain increase to the point I had to do something. The message is not to shout your shame from the mountain tops, it is simply to share it with God(as if He does not know what it is already) and a trusted community member. T please forgive me for this next line" you cannot BS a BS'er". I am only speaking for myself. I ran from Church's because the Folks who tried to help me where not living the lives they were selling. I as a recovering alcoholic can not help anyone by pretenting to be something I am not. Bottom line forget helping others Secret Shame kept me from God. I am not religious as my expierence has not been positive with "religious folks", I am believer and learning to trust. " No one really lives like this" is Church not the place you should find a bunch of folks trying to live like this, maybe more would if they had an example from their community. Maybe more would if they knew being right with God was more important than what a community thinks of you. Maybe more would if one person was simply honest enough to say " My life is messy". "No one realy lives like this" maybe that is true for you, I can tell you I live in a community where a bunch of folks try. Our community started because a few people were willing to stand up and say " My life is messy", I thank God everyday they had the courage. I pray this was more than just a rant and for the knowledge of the next right step. God Bless

Anonymous said...

Hey, maybe we can have an online community?
I don't know about others out there who have responded by e-mail, but I am greatful for your blog and for your teaching on Lighthouse. I have learned alot, and even though I cannot attend your services, sometimes it seems as though I do by watching your sermons online. Thanks for that opportunity.

Dichelle said...

Hi, Anonymous. I'm with you 100%. I use this blog as my online community :) In the privacy of my own space (as opposed to sitting in church), these daily blog messages really help me to learn a lot, too.

Anonymous said...

Dichelle, I don't know how it would work, and maybe it wouldn't, but I think it would be worth a try. I don't have a webcam, that would even be better. I guess if nothing else, we could provide each other with some support. I know I could use it. Thanks for responding......

Anonymous said...

What would you guys think about having an experimental webinar? We've been snowed in and out of our NSC weekend services for two weekends in a row...and so I've got these messages that are part of a series that are going to be "missing" unless I think of a way to get them out in another way than weekends. How does a webinar sound? t

Hzjewl said...

I've been getting invites from another church asking me to join them on their live webinar since their church was closed for the weather. The invite came through Facebook.

Anonymous said...

Sounds great to me. Just say when.
I don't have Facebook though.

Blog Archive

Chat Rooms