February 3

Scripture focus:
We are to grow up in all aspects into Him. Ephesians 4:15 NAS

It was for freedom that Christ set us free. Galatians 5:1 NAS

Last week my son the songwriter allowed me the privilege of listening to a series of songs he’s writing that focus on the theme of transformation. Some of them are very difficult to listen to because transformation often starts in a very dark and lonely place. Eventually all his songs end on a hopeful note. I asked him about the song structure. I fully expected to hear some really great reason why his songs progress in this manner. I imagined that he will respond with something deep and theological, profound and in keeping with all the excellent parenting and godly instruction he received during his formative years.

“It’s easy to write depressing, dark, and lonely.” He glances up from his guitar with an enigmatic grin.

“That’s it? It’s easy? That’s all you got? A lot of people are going to be pretty disappointed to find out that one reason for all those great songs that sing the blues is because they’re easy to write.”

“Yeah, well, I can’t seem to leave them alone. I always end up tacking on some reason to hope.” He sighs as if this is a defect of character.

Has [God] said, and will He not do it? Or has He spoken, and will He not make it good? Numbers 23:19 NAS

I pray that we will listen to that small, barely perceptible voice within us that woos us toward maturity. We may find the blues a song with a catchy, familiar tune. God’s Spirit calls to us, inviting us into an uncommon life. May we heed the call to hope – a richer, more complex life reserved for those who refuse to give up and give in.

I suspect my boy is right – it is easier to sing the blues. But once we’ve come to believe that God can restore us to sanity, I want more than a common life, don’t you? I want to leverage God’s saving grace and redemptive work for an uncommonly large living life. May we find our way back to God and his grand epic adventures! Prince and Princess Warriors can handle far more than easy.

Click on the word comments below and join our conversation!

© Copyright 2010 NorthStar Community


No comments:

Blog Archive

Chat Rooms