Day 254 - Gentle

Having a Heart in a Sometimes Heartless World

Scripture focus: But the fruit of the Spirit is meekness/gentleness/not needing to force our way in life…Galatians 5:22

Gentle – prautes – the attitude or demeanor of a person who is forbearing, patient, and slow to respond in anger; one who remains in control of self in the face of insults or injuries; kindness, gentleness, mildness or even friendliness. In the Greek, the word conveys the idea of a high and noble ideal to be aspired to in one’s life.

When I first found my way back to God, I aspired to be a meek person. I interpreted this to mean that I would become a quiet, shy, introvert, with good people skills! I thought my bossy temperament would be, well, tempered. I thought I would become a lady in my church that I admire very much – who is as gentle as a lamb and as sweet as cotton candy.

But guess what. It hasn’t happened. I’m still more like Mexican food.

That doesn’t mean that God has overlooked me when handing out his tasty fruit. My friend from yesterday’s devotional isn’t the only one who has suffered at the hands of those who should love her best. I’ve had some of those moments too. I haven’t always responded with gentleness. I’ve been known to try to force my way in life. I’ve demanded an apology. I’ve held onto resentment. I’ve felt not only justified but self-righteous. So trust me, I get what it means to live without gentleness.

Recently, I experienced a repeat performance of offensiveness. It’s not my story to share, but if I shared it, I think you would offer me a shoulder to cry on. At a minimum, you might pat me on the back! But in the midst of the offending, I felt this amazing fruitful feeling. And I thought differently about the situation. I chose to respond in ways that are completely foreign to me. Along the way, I didn’t turn into a woolly lamb or cotton candy. I’m still more spicy than sweet. But I was so slow to anger that I didn’t even get around to it – even upon reflection. I never felt out-of-control in the face of insult. I didn’t compulsively obsess over the situation. My mind was not consumed with questions and my heart wasn’t wounded and hurt.

I don’t know if you’re more the sweet or spicy type of personality – but take it from me, no matter what our personality type – we can still be gentle with others. We can be friendly. This is both a high and noble ideal to be aspired to in one’s life. And, it’s also a gift from God!

Recommended reading: Isaiah 8 and 9 in the morning; 2 Corinthians 12 and Psalm 41 in the evening


Copyright 2008 NorthStar Community

No comments:

Blog Archive

Chat Rooms