Day 258 – Week 37 At A Glance

Having a Heart in a Sometimes Heartless World

Scripture focus:
But what happens when we live God’s way? He brings gifts into our lives..Galatians 5:22 The Message


In review: Affection for others – Agape occurs when an individual sees, recognizes, understands, or appreciates the value of an object or a person, causing the viewer to behold this object or person in great esteem, awe, admiration, wonder, and sincere appreciation. In fact, his love for that person or object is so strong that it is irresistible.” (July 23rd, Sparkling Gems from the Greek)

Exuberance about life – Joy - Chara - Joy - Spirit-given. When the apostle Paul writes of joy, it is usually in the context of suffering. Although great trouble accompanied the Word, you were able to take great joy from the Holy Spirit! – taking the trouble with the joy, the joy with the trouble. (1 Thessalonians 1:6 The Message)

Serenity – Peace - eirene – the Greek equivalent of the Hebrew word Shalom, meaning – wholeness, completeness, tranquility in the soul that is unaffected by outward circumstances or pressures, the rule of order in place of chaos, a calm, inner stability that results in the ability to conduct self peacefully, even in the midst of circumstances that would normally be very nerve-racking, traumatic or upsetting, prosperity in one’s soul, orderly, stable and poised for blessing.

Willingness to stick like glue – Patience/Longsuffering - Patience – from the Greek word makrothumia, a compound word meaning – anger, swelling emotions or strong and growing passion that is long, distant, far, remote, of long duration; the patient restraint of anger, forbearance

Compassion – Gentleness – chrestotes – “to show kindness or to be friendly to others and often depicted rulers, governors, or people who were kind, mild, and benevolent to their subjects…compassionate, considerate, sympathetic, humane, kind or gentle…God’s incomprehensible kindness for people who are unsaved, adaptable to others” (July25th, Sparkling Gems from the Greek).

Goodness – agathusune – a person who is generous, big-hearted, liberal, and charitable with his finances – a giver! Goodness is a supernatural urge to reach beyond our own natural inclinations – to get our way all the time AND become the kind of person who meets the natural needs of those around him. (Paraphasing Renner in his devotional of July 26th in Sparkling Gems from the Greek)

Loyal and Committed – Faithful – pistis – a person who is faithful, reliable, loyal, and steadfast; a person who is devoted, trustworthy, dependable, dedicated, constant, and unwavering. (Paraphrasing Renner in his July 26th devotional)

Not need to “go codependent” - Gentle – prautes – the attitude or demeanor of a person who is forbearing, patient, and slow to respond in anger; one who remains in control of himself in the face of insults or injuries; kindness, gentleness, mildness or even friendliness. In the Greek, the word conveys the idea of a high and noble ideal to be aspired to in one’s life.

Able and willing to direct our energies wisely – Self-control – enkrateia – in control, power over one’s self; control or restraint of one’s passions, appetites and desires.

Recommended reading: Isaiah 19 and 20 in the morning; Isaiah 21 and Galatians 1 in the evening




Copyright 2008 NorthStar Community

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looking at my own life, I know I am stuck on the left side of the tree. I am in survival mode, with my own self interests at heart. I don't like being in this stuck place! It has distanced me from my husband and my family, emotionally and relationally. There is a deafening silence in my marriage. I feel none of the fruit today. There is no Agape in my affection; no joy in my trouble; no tranquility in my soul; no patience; not adapting to present situation; buried in my own inclinations; certainly not unwaivering in my devotion; not able to be in control of myself in the face of perceived insults. I am nowhere that I thought I would be in this time of my life with my family. It's all fading and I feel powerless and afraid like I'm heading into a black hole. What is the next right step? I feel overwhelmed by "self"!

Blog Archive

Chat Rooms