January 12

Scripture focus
: "When you call on me, when you come and pray to me, I'll listen. "When you come looking for me, you'll find me. "Yes, when you get serious about finding me and want it more than anything else, I'll make sure you won't be disappointed." GOD's Decree. "I'll turn things around for you. I'll bring you back from all the countries into which I drove you"—GOD's Decree—"bring you home to the place from which I sent you off into exile. You can count on it. Jeremiah 29:13-14, The Message

What are some specific benefits that God is serious about providing us when we commit to looking for him?

* He promises to save us. “Everyone who calls upon the name of the Lord will be saved” –Romans 10:12-13.

* He gives the Holy Spirit to those who ask (see Luke 11:13) and there’s evidence that this is not just a benefit related to salvation, but also service (see Acts 4:31).

* He promises to change us. “In my anguish I cried to the Lord, and he answered by setting me free” (Psalm 118:5).

* He promises to give us a renewed perspective. “The Lord is with me; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?” (Psalm 118:6, see also Psalm 138:3)

* He promises us peace. “Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus” (Philippians 4:6-7)

* He can change our circumstances. “Oh, that you would bless me and enlarge my territory! Let your hand be with me, and keep me from harm so that I will be free from pain” (1 Chronicles 4:10)…”And God granted his request.”

* Our prayers can benefit others (see Ephesians 3:16-19, James 5:14-16, 2 Thessalonians 2:16-17, 1 John 5:16).

Remember that Paul prayed for a physical ailment and healing in the way he had hoped never came. Jesus prayed three times to be released from the impending trial and crucifixion – but off to the cross he went when it was obvious that God was not going to change his plans because Jesus had cold feet. So prayer remains in many ways a mysterious thing. We petition, but it is the Lord who determines the outcome.

May we pray today with a trust in the one who hears.

Click on the word comments below and join our conversation!

© Copyright 2010 NorthStar Community


No comments:

Blog Archive

Chat Rooms