January 8

Scripture focus:
“Lord, teach us to pray.” Luke 11:1

As we prepare for a year of devoted living, it might help to recall how Jesus devoted himself to talking with God. He prayed often and sometimes long. He thanked God for stuff. Sometimes he confessed things. He expressed his love for God and the kingdom of God. He didn’t hesitate to ask God questions or make requests either. Jesus modeled all these dimensions of healthy, intimate conversation when he taught his disciples how to pray using what we commonly refer to as “The Lord’s Prayer.”

But any married couple knows (if they’ve been married longer than one week) that the best conversations are exchanges not monologues – and so it is with prayer. Peter received a divine vision (Acts 10:9-10), Paul was told where to travel (Acts 16:9) and John got a revelation (Rev. 1:9-10).

Isaiah reminds us to wait on the Lord when he says, “But those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength” (Isaiah 40:31). The word “hope” actually could be translated – “tarrying,” “waiting for,” “to expect,” or to “look patiently.”
It seems that God has basic principles about how he relates to us that are consistent and unchanging. Take grace, for instance. God has always been the first to initiate loving relationship with his children. In the area of grace and mercy, God always goes first.

This same principle is true with prayer. Prayer is initiated by God. William Meninger says, “Prayer begins with God, not with us….The invitation has to come from god – what comes from us is the response. When we ‘begin to pray’ or think we are beginning to pray, we should be explicitly aware that, whether we are emotionally aware of it or not, God has initiated this prayer. The invitation has already come from Him, the prayer has already begun, the grace is present and all we have to do is respond!”*

On those days when we are moved to prayer, may we remember that God moved us. I love it when my husband gives me his full, undivided attention. How much more amazing to think about how awesome it is to know that holy God also attends to us. Our brokenness does not escape his attention for one moment.

May we all awake to the privilege and possibility of conversation with God.
I pray that we will increase our consciousness, so that we might be aware of God’s call to us – “Come to me, all you who are weary and heavy burdened…”


*Meninger, “Aspects of Prayer,” in Word and Spirit: A Monastic Review (Still River, Mass.: St. Bede’s Publications, 1982), pp.147-149.


Click on the word comments below and join our conversation!

© Copyright 2010 NorthStar Community


5 comments:

questioning said...

What is grace? What does grace look like? When we ask for grace what are we asking for? Do we ask for grace or is it just given? Is grace the same as forgivness? Is grace, a pass we get till we screw up again?

Anonymous said...

I don't know either, but maybe if we start with answering God's invitation to prayer we'll find a clue.

thinking said...

grace almost always takes me by surprise...maybe because I am accustomed to earning my way

grace almost always surprises me with its timing and presentation

when I ask for grace I know that a presence of the Divine is what I long for, then even though I am still human - and that is ok
sometimes I ask and sometimes I don't, and still grace is given to me, but still there is an element of surprise...for me

a pass - hmmmmm...I have used grace that way, I must confess, but maybe all the times that I did, I missed out on something more

questioning, your queries are deep - you make me think...

Anonymous said...

truth is swiss steak softened with pounding, grace is the creme de la creme, the boston cream pie, the spoonful of sugar that helps the medicine go down. grace allows us to see the depth of injury in ourselves and others. grace is what takes us through to the other side of the depth of our sadness, pain, and grief for our losses (rather than let it dominate/simmer just below the surface). grace allows us to examine our faulty core beliefs,our false perceptions about the world because of injury, that can keep us bound in unhealthy habit patterns. grace is that which enables us to identify with a perpetrator on a human level. grace is that which allows us to be used by G-d to be an earthern vessel to pour out His Spirit on those who hurt others, so they might turn from their way and live. recovery doesn't happen apart from grace. it was grace that saved a wretch like me. 'papillon'

Anonymous said...

In Mark 10 there is a blind man who cries out to Jesus as He is passing by and Jesus says to him, What do you want me to do? It seems like a dumb question, I mean the man is blind!! I think this story supports Teresa's point that maybe there is a benefit to us to tell Jesus our need. Also God says to pray, over and over we are told to pray. Trust and obey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blog Archive

Chat Rooms