January 17

Scripture focus:
Whatever God has promised gets stamped with the Yes of Jesus. In him, this is what we preach and pray, the great Amen, God's Yes and our Yes together, gloriously evident. God affirms us, making us a sure thing in Christ, putting his Yes within us. By his Spirit he has stamped us with his eternal pledge—a sure beginning of what he is destined to complete. Now, are you ready for the real reason I didn't visit you in Corinth? As God is my witness, the only reason I didn't come was to spare you pain. I was being considerate of you, not indifferent, not manipulative. We're not in charge of how you live out the faith, looking over your shoulders, suspiciously critical. We're partners, working alongside you, joyfully expectant. I know that you stand by your own faith, not by ours. 2 Corinthians 1:20-24, The Message

Oh, how I love this passage! Paul reminds us that God is in the business of affirmation. He paints a picture of a team united – all shouting celestial “yeses” of affirmation to God’s pledge and promise of completion of the plan. Interesting, that after all this holy hollering Paul moves on to speak of conflict. Evidently the Corinthians got their feelings hurt when Paul didn’t show up to visit as planned. For whatever reason, Paul seems to think that they took his absence as a lack of concern or an attempt to control their behavior. In recovery lingo, we might speculate that those Corinthians had abandonment issues.

Paul wants his hurt friends to understand that his actions were motivated by love and a desire to prevent them from suffering. He reframes his relationship, reminding the Corinthians that he is in partnership with them – not their parents or boss. He wants them to realize that when he looks at them, it is not through the lens of judgment and criticism, but joyful expectancy. Notice how cleverly Paul first shows them how God relates to us (affirming, promising and fulfilling) and then illustrates how he, Paul, is following God’s lead.

One of the ways I particularly like to pray is using God’s word to both speak and listen. I have favorite prayers, like one in Ephesians where Paul prays so beautifully for the Ephesians and their love life with God. I love to pray that on behalf of myself and others. Another way I pray is by reading scripture so that I might hear the voice of God. I have notebooks filled with verses I’ve read that have given me glimpses into God’s character and heart. Some days I whip out my notebook and read about the things I’ve read about God in the past, but struggle to believe in the present. I read until I’m full, stuffed with reminders of who God is and what he is up to. It’s awfully hard to get my feelings hurt or judge another when my spiritual tummy is full of reminders that life isn’t all about me. It’s about God’s prevailing purposes.

I practice praying like this because I know that I am more likely to experience life like a Corinthian than a co-laborer with Christ. I’m prone to prickliness and feelings of abandonment. I find it easier to point a finger than lift a hand. Regular doses of the word of God provide a much-needed antibiotic to the toxic shame that seeks to kill, steal and destroy. May our days be filled with spiritual sustenance so that we might grow up in our salvation!


Click on the word comments below and join our conversation!

© Copyright 2010 NorthStar Community


No comments:

Blog Archive

Chat Rooms