January 6

Scripture focus:
The Word became flesh and blood, and moved into the neighborhood. We saw the glory with our own eyes, the one-of-a-kind glory, like Father, like Son, generous inside and out, true from start to finish. John pointed him out and called, "This is the One! The One I told you was coming after me but in fact was ahead of me. He has always been ahead of me, has always had the first word." We all live off his generous bounty, gift after gift after gift. We got the basics from Moses, and then this exuberant giving and receiving, this endless knowing and understanding — all this came through Jesus, the Messiah. No one has ever seen God, not so much as a glimpse. This one-of-a-kind God-Expression, who exists at the very heart of the Father, has made him plain as day. John 1:14-18, The Message

After Jesus moved into the neighborhood, he joined the community. He prayed for himself and others. He interceded for the church and his followers. He prayed for his enemies.

Jesus moved into the neighborhood and revealed God to us in flesh and bone. He demonstrated loving care, concern, and a personal interest in all of creation.

It reminds us that we must measure ourselves as human parents against the revealed nature of God.

We would not be true to our own community’s identity if we failed to point out that sometimes believing that God is who he says he is a tough sell, especially if our own earthly fathers (parents) have been absent or abusive.

Perhaps we can make it a communal matter of prayer to acknowledge that just because Jesus moved into the neighborhood doesn’t mean we found our way to his house with a plate of cookies and a willingness to let him join our community association.

It’s my prayer that each of us place before the Father all the experiences of cruelty, abandonment, and abuse that cause us to doubt God. Just lay them at his feet. It’s okay to say that prayer is hard to do unless we find ourselves in a foxhole.

Click on the word comments below and join our conversation!

© Copyright 2010 NorthStar Community


4 comments:

I Might be Wrong said...

I have foxhole prayed many a time. It's funny as I moved through recovery Foxhole praying became harder, cause I looked at it like "if He wasn't good enough to pray to when thing were good why would he listen to me now". Having just written the previous statement, I look back and wonder if maybe it was more that I felt unworthy of His blessing.I know today He wants all my prayers the good ones the bad ones and all those in between. He is not the one who judges my praying I do that all on my own, not as often but it still happens. I also have come to know that he listens to all my prayers in good times and bad. I have become better at praying and having a quite time, the struggle for me is listening for His answers. Thank God for big sticks and a loving God and community to use them. I pray for today that I find the quite place in my head. God Bless

Side request: If you read this blog please take a moment to comment where you are from and how you found the Northstar Blog.

Richmond Va Northstar found me Thanks Mac & Tammy

Hzjewl said...

I'm from New York but now live in Richmond. I became aware of the blog during a NorthStar service.

Anonymous said...

I live in Richmond and attend NorthStar. The blog is a "prayer" I have every morning to help me focus on my day.

Anonymous said...

Hi, I have been reading this blog for several weeks. From the midwest, where it is really cold!
This blog, and all of your side comments have been helpful, and I hope you all don't mind my reading along with you. Thanks!

Blog Archive

Chat Rooms